Friday, 11 January 2008
  1 Replies
  5.5K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
This is the last project we've been working on for NAMM. It's a little brother to the Afterburner. There are a few details to be worked out and financing to be sourced but the goal is to put this into production at a really attractive street price.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Are the combustion PU's the same size as FD3's? They look EMG sized.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Headstock looks really good with the logo. I haven't noticed it before.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":gao4kryj]http://rdmgear.com/2008/12/19/dingwall-combustion/ Are those the ones that Jjango rendered?[/quote:gao4kryj] Yep, that's one of them! Here is a more updated version, with a few color changes Sheldon requested: [img:gao4kryj]http://xs135.xs.to/xs135/09010/mockup505.jpg[/img:gao4kryj] [size=75:gao4kryj]It's kinda cool seeing these pics start to pop up around the net![/size:gao4kryj] :D
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="FrankM":t0lz8fr0]Also it states w/ a street price under $1200.00[/quote:t0lz8fr0] I'm guessing $1199.99 :D
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":39xwy41r]We got word that the NAMM samples are on the way. Just a quick and dirty snapshot from the Factory for now. We'll get the pickguards on and take some shop shots later next week.[/quote:39xwy41r] Late to the party... Sheldon, these basses look great! Can't wait to try the NAMM samples at NAMM in a couple of weeks. Congrats on the new line. Regards,
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
It's going to be cool and unique Frank. :D Looking forward to seeing it. I look forward to playing it, I'm like 45 minutes from you.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Mark- Its going to be real interesting when the Combustions come out- esp to see what this "international build" will yield . I know it will have the soul of a Dingwall and lets hope these FD pickups are standard to give it the guts of a Dingwall. As for the Mystery Dingwall, it still moving ahead, but as you've noticed w/ many Dingwall "projects" -time is fluid and elastic. My new time line appears to be around Tax time 2009-I'm crossing my fingers it happens.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="FrankM":1md30pmg]i think those images are from Jjango. The exact same image appears at the Basscentral website under Dingwall heading as well. Also it states w/ a street price under $1200.00[/quote:1md30pmg] Hope so, Frank. Speaking of, what's the latest on your mystery Dingwall? Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
i think those images are from Jjango. The exact same image appears at the Basscentral website under Dingwall heading as well. Also it states w/ a street price under $1200.00
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hmmm... look at what I found when I did a Google search for "Dingwall bass Korea", guessing that's where it's being made. http://rdmgear.com/2008/12/19/dingwall-combustion/ Are those the ones that Jjango rendered? Did Sheldon ever say what the street price on these basses will be? $1200, IIRC. Looks like it may have changed. Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Interesting you should mention neck heavy and balance... A couple of weeks ago I pulled out a few different basses at a jam (I usually use just one). I'm fortunate enough to own several nice basses and they all sounded good, however it's the little differences that set the Dingwalls apart. Balance and neck weight are one of those details. Whereas, one bass was pulling on my shirt of my left shoulder a little while strapped and standing, the Dingwalls were perfect. This is one of the details that I love about my Dingwall basses. It's one of those things that you don't know what you've got until you lose it. Most players probably wouldn't know the difference if they haven't experienced a perfectly balanced instrument, however I have already been spoiled! I think it would be worth it to make sure the Combustion is well balanced. Would it be a deal breaker for me? Probably not in that general price range. A chunky neck doesn't bother me as long as it's comfortable and plays well.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Not to hijack the thread but some of my Dingwalls are fully passive with non-Dingwall electronics, and you actually need 4 holes. The results are just amazing (not in the Dingwall side of tone though, in terms of clarity). It's the only Dingwall mod I have actually allowed myself (the result justified the thought)
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
But but than I have too many holes :(
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm pretty sure it's active only, but nothing's stopping you from ripping the electronics out :)
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Will there be passive versions available? Like some lakland skylines which have a preamp as an option... Cause I like passive better...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That color reminds me of the Ernie Ball MusicMan Dargie Delight special edition basses / guitars. Very cool color, but even on an "entry level" Dingwall I would still prefer a natural or trans finish...I just like seeing the wood.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The finished prototype looks great! Hopefully there will be a chance to get the Combustion with pickguard. Jjango's updated mock-up with pickguard is still looking nice :)
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have a feeling that most of us will go and get a Combustion to have and play for our rocky gigs. The reason I bought my AB I's in the beginning, was just that, only to realize that they are great basses that can hold their own ground!!!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":22axxzoy] ...that it's a color that's difficult to shoot and may currently be 'sworn off' by the shop![/quote:22axxzoy] Well, seeing as it will be an offshore built bass, Sheldon and crew won't be painting these anyway... Maybe to have it as a limited run, pre-order colour. That way Sheldon (or dealer) wouldn't get stuck with an unpopular finish. We're probably getting ahead of ourselves here though. They still have to build the prototype (copy it, that is).
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies"][quote="Jjango"] ... and here's one for guitarded :P : [img:19i5zwne]http://xs229.xs.to/xs229/08304/clg588.jpg[/img:19i5zwne] (of course, the above image is just for fun
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!