1. Sheldon Dingwall
  2. Basses
  3. Friday, 11 January 2008
  4.  Subscribe via email
This is the last project we've been working on for NAMM. It's a little brother to the Afterburner. There are a few details to be worked out and financing to be sourced but the goal is to put this into production at a really attractive street price.
Attachments (2)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
BurningSkies Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Funny, I like the chrome hardware! Although my all time favorite is the brushed chrome that was a one-off on a Prima a year or two ago (I think it was Geoff's?)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 141
nastyn8c Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":3qp6djpk]You just have to get a picture in front of them and keep the price at $1200 or less. And ditch the chrome hardware.[/quote:3qp6djpk]

+2
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 142
Mark L Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Uhhh, didn't Sheldon ask for input? I wouldn't worry- I'm sure he's completely able to sort out the BS responses from the informed and useful responses here. Kudos to Dr. Wood for being so accessible and open to input (64 tone combinations?!).

Anyway, IMO this budget Dingwall is going to catch the eye of the same type of player that the upper tier Dingwalls do - the player looking for something different, one who is adventurous and informed, one that sometimes overplays a bit and maybe is a smartass at times :roll: :wink:, one searching for that [i:220sw5o2]something different[/i:220sw5o2]. I first saw a Dingwall in a bass guitar buyers guide and thought, "Wow, that looks so badass, and I get what he's trying to do with the fanned frets - I gotta get one!" Some people will have the same reaction I did, maybe worse :) :P . Others will look at the FFs and say, "No way! Where are the Fenders?"

There are old threads on the forum where this came up a few years back, debates about the viability and practicality of a budget DDG bass. Fanned frets enjoy only cult status now, and probably always will. That's nothing new for FFs- the idea goes back many, many years, and has yet to be realised by the masses as the superior design. Straight frets are good enough for most players because most players settle for "good enough", I guess.

Exposure is the key if this model is to sell in the numbers needed to make a profit. Budget boutique basses have been pulled off successfully before, like the Cort Curbow and Elrick models, to name two. There are many others that are currently more popular than these. I'd love to be able to order my budget Dingwall from Musicians Friend someday, but we should let it evolve naturally and without too much influence from people who are just talking and won't buy one anyway. It's different players, like us hardcore Dingwallers, that will buy this bass. You just have to get a picture in front of them and keep the price at $1200 or less. And ditch the chrome hardware.

Mark
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 143
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
It's all good guys. I'm sure the talkbass threads will fade into the back pages and things will be business as usual by tomorrow. Thankfully there was something to learn from each thread. If you sift out the jokers and the curmudgeons, there are some really succinct opinions.

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and input.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 144
Brim Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Dragonlord":pigll8u2][quote="Funkshwey":pigll8u2]I agree it was too many and I was surprised by the other thread which took focus off the polls.

You have to attach a name because FF's are unique, that has to be taken into consideration. Parallel I could understand leaving the name out. It's all good and I think from the polls the majority wants 24 frets. Good to know.[/quote:pigll8u2]
Actually, my thread didn't "take focus off the pollS", because their was only one poll at the moment. Anyway, mine was a completely different thread, and I don't think that having 2 or 3 threads made on the same day hurts the brand first because it doesn't happen every day and second because they weren't made by Sheldon, they were made by customers/fans and I'm sure everyone understands that. No big deal IMO.[/quote:pigll8u2]

I'm trying hard to derail both threads at TalkBass by posting pics of awesome Dingwalls! Actually, it's more "plugging" than derailing! :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 145
Dragonlord Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":3e5zz9pe]I agree it was too many and I was surprised by the other thread which took focus off the polls.

You have to attach a name because FF's are unique, that has to be taken into consideration. Parallel I could understand leaving the name out. It's all good and I think from the polls the majority wants 24 frets. Good to know.[/quote:3e5zz9pe]
Actually, my thread didn't "take focus off the pollS", because their was only one poll at the moment. Anyway, mine was a completely different thread, and I don't think that having 2 or 3 threads made on the same day hurts the brand first because it doesn't happen every day and second because they weren't made by Sheldon, they were made by customers/fans and I'm sure everyone understands that. No big deal IMO.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 146
Funkshwey Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":1xcj05gk][quote="Funkshwey":1xcj05gk]You know Burning that's exactly why I didn't do an open ended thread to see what players want. Sheldon's got the design down already.

I started a poll specifically to tie up just the last few details that Sheldon's debating because I knew a thread like that would end up w/ crank like "When he does a graphite neck I'm in".[/quote:1xcj05gk]

I was a bit bemused last night to find 3 threads about this on TB...which seems like um...too many! I don't mean to throw stones in any one direction since I know everyone has the best of intentions.

It might have been better to not even attach a name and ask a general questionnaire type thread...just to find out what people are interested in without even needing the Dingwall name in the mix.[/quote:1xcj05gk]

I agree it was too many and I was surprised by the other thread which took focus off the polls.

You have to attach a name because FF's are unique, that has to be taken into consideration. Parallel I could understand leaving the name out. It's all good and I think from the polls the majority wants 24 frets. Good to know.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 147
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":3tnyfuct]You know Burning that's exactly why I didn't do an open ended thread to see what players want. Sheldon's got the design down already.

I started a poll specifically to tie up just the last few details that Sheldon's debating because I knew a thread like that would end up w/ crank like "When he does a graphite neck I'm in".[/quote:3tnyfuct]

I was a bit bemused last night to find 3 threads about this on TB...which seems like um...too many! I don't mean to throw stones in any one direction since I know everyone has the best of intentions.

It might have been better to not even attach a name and ask a general questionnaire type thread...just to find out what people are interested in without even needing the Dingwall name in the mix.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 148
Registered
Votes
Undo
You know Burning that's exactly why I didn't do an open ended thread to see what players want. Sheldon's got the design down already.

I started a poll specifically to tie up just the last few details that Sheldon's debating because I knew a thread like that would end up w/ crank like "When he does a graphite neck I'm in".
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 149
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Nic DB":197h9go1]Hi Folks

Some of these comments have really made me think about 'Dingwall Perception'. I was at a fundraiser recently and, with my favourite lady drummer, formed the core of the house band with other musicians turning up to do their bit. Several very talented local bassists showed up but were unwilling to use my DW so that they could take a turn on bass, the reason was, as many of you have pointed out, they were scared of the fanned frets.
I wonder if this is just human nature where, generally, folk tend to stick to what they have been accustomed to and shy away from anything different. If so then this gets at the fundamental (no pun intended) issue here. The USP's of DWs are the amazing tone and the distinctive looks, both of which are somewhat intrinsic to the fanned frets. I agree that it might be a good idea for Sheldon to try to get a major distribution deal for the entry level DW to help buffer the novelty factor and get more DWs in more hands around the world. If this is successful it might also assist the development of Sheldon's high end basses as there will be more cash flow for R and D, staff and equipment etc and greater recognition of Sheldon's amazing work.
So to sum up, we have all put in our little DW peccadillo's but really what is required is a good all round DW the makes price point, represents the tone and quality that is synonymous with the name, and has general appeal, and has the support of a major distributor. This will serve to introduce new bassists to fanned frets and DW sound and generate the sales to take our favourite luthier to the next level.

N[/quote:197h9go1]

You know, I agree.
The problem is that on any public forum 50% is productive discussion, and 50% is just crank. Some people just want a Jazz bass, and that
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 150
Nic DB Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Hi Folks

Some of these comments have really made me think about 'Dingwall Perception'. I was at a fundraiser recently and, with my favourite lady drummer, formed the core of the house band with other musicians turning up to do their bit. Several very talented local bassists showed up but were unwilling to use my DW so that they could take a turn on bass, the reason was, as many of you have pointed out, they were scared of the fanned frets.
I wonder if this is just human nature where, generally, folk tend to stick to what they have been accustomed to and shy away from anything different. If so then this gets at the fundamental (no pun intended) issue here. The USP's of DWs are the amazing tone and the distinctive looks, both of which are somewhat intrinsic to the fanned frets. I agree that it might be a good idea for Sheldon to try to get a major distribution deal for the entry level DW to help buffer the novelty factor and get more DWs in more hands around the world. If this is successful it might also assist the development of Sheldon's high end basses as there will be more cash flow for R and D, staff and equipment etc and greater recognition of Sheldon's amazing work.
So to sum up, we have all put in our little DW peccadillo's but really what is required is a good all round DW the makes price point, represents the tone and quality that is synonymous with the name, and has general appeal, and has the support of a major distributor. This will serve to introduce new bassists to fanned frets and DW sound and generate the sales to take our favourite luthier to the next level.

N
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 151
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":12slbn27]Howzabout everyone chill a bit about this...

...I mean, from where I'm standing, a bit of discretion goes a long way...No one wants their decision making process debated on a public forum, even though everyone has the best of intentions.[/quote:12slbn27]
Well, I thought about it before making my thread, but you know, this IS a public forum - like TB. I wouldn't have gone public with it if Sheldon hadn't... That said, if he wants, I'll close/delete the TB thread (if possible).
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 152
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":37nup79g]Howzabout everyone chill a bit about this...

...I mean, from where I'm standing, a bit of discretion goes a long way...No one wants their decision making process debated on a public forum, even though everyone has the best of intentions.[/quote:37nup79g]

I am chilled.

Mmm, I hadn't thought of the polls being a negative. They are only asking basically 2 questions 22 or 24 and headstock choice. I'll delete them if Sheldon feels they are unneccesary. I definitely have good intentions. If Sheldon had asked directly it might have violated TB rules.

Man now I feel like I may have done a bad thing.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 153
Registered
Votes
Undo
Howzabout everyone chill a bit about this...

...I mean, from where I'm standing, a bit of discretion goes a long way...No one wants their decision making process debated on a public forum, even though everyone has the best of intentions.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 154
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Dragonlord":35znz2xd][quote="Funkshwey":35znz2xd]Sheldon, would you consider doing a more traditional style headstock maybe like an SJ w/out the route on the front? Perhaps that would entice the headstock naysayers.[/quote:35znz2xd]
I don't think what one person says on TB should make Sheldon change the headstock. For each one who wants a bigger headstock, there could be 1000 who don't - it's the first time I hear this complaint, and you can't please everyone. IMO the headstock is great as is.

One more point which has been brought up on the TB thread: the chrome knobs. Why? The black ones can't be more expensive, at least not much. Chrome screams "cheap", which is unforgivable at the $1000 price range.[/quote:35znz2xd]

I realise that Dragon, that's why I posted another poll to better judge.

I actually like chrome better. So both would probably be an easy option for Sheldon to consider.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 155
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":qqxwso5s]Sheldon, would you consider doing a more traditional style headstock maybe like an SJ w/out the route on the front? Perhaps that would entice the headstock naysayers.[/quote:qqxwso5s]
I don't think what one person says on TB should make Sheldon change the headstock. For each one who wants a bigger headstock, there could be 1000 who don't - it's the first time I hear this complaint, and you can't please everyone. IMO the headstock is great as is.

One more point which has been brought up on the TB thread: the chrome knobs. Why? The black ones can't be more expensive, at least not much. Chrome screams "cheap", which is unforgivable at the $1000 price range.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 156
Registered
Votes
Undo
Sheldon, would you consider doing a more traditional style headstock maybe like an SJ w/out the route on the front? Perhaps that would entice the headstock naysayers.

Just to be clear, is the body styling right below the strap button going to be for a jack like on the AB's? This would be good for those wanting to sit and play.

It looks like 24 frets and no PG is going to be the way to go if my poll continues to follow the same trend. I'll add headstock to the poll.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 157
Registered
Votes
Undo
On topic, Sheldon, I'm starting to think that the single best thing you could do about this new line would be to make a deal with Guitar Center or at least Musicians Friend (with its return policy). If Jorg Schroeder can do it, then surely should you as well. I believe the thing scaring away bassists, apart from the price, is not how the 24 frets look but the sole fact that they haven't played one themselves. Do you think you could make a deal with a big chain, at least for this line only?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 158
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":ygdo2gmo]Dragonlord has heard many of them and I am sure he can chime in about the diversity of sounds of different Dingwalls.[/quote:ygdo2gmo]
Seriously, the fact that after directly comparing them to high-end Foderas, Sei, Status, Wal and a lot of other "boutique" brands I forgot about anything else and only see Dingwalls in my future (and on my bass stand) says it all.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 159
fullrangebass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I am not the conventional bass player who plays and listens with his eyes. When I got hooked on the Dingwall magic, I was talking and bringing my bass to every possible gig, rehearsal or studio. I am sure that we all do that.

Now that I start having higher profile gigs (very different styles and hopefully different places and countries) more people will see my Dingwalls, so few more people will be inclined to try (most of the people that attend a gig are probably listening to that style of music, esp if they are musicians). I am by no way an endorser; I am just a very good yet VERY DEMANDING customer and Sheldon and the crew deliver. I have found sonic Nirvana at all levels and it shows from the different Dingwalls that I own; Dragonlord has heard many of them and I am sure he can chime in about the diversity of sounds of different Dingwalls.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 160

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.