New

Super P

Sunday, 13 November 2011
  0 Replies
  576 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We've machined one prototype body to test out the tool paths, here are some photos of the second body. This will be the first one machined on the new CNC.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Quality out-trumps quantity any day!
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm trying to figure out what color/pickguard combo I like. Will Dingwall sell pickguards separately? If so then I only really need to decide on body color. I only ask because I was surprised to find out that a certain company that used to have an artist named after an insect wouldn't sell pickguards individually. Well, I guess I never got an actual answer from them, but found out through someone else.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We're re-tooling the new CNC as we speak. Replacement pickguards won't be a problem.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Awesome! I've resorted to squinting at the screen and tilting the laptop at odd angles to make the two basses look like different colors. I'm chronically indecisive. Have been getting the Carvin catalog since '87 and have yet to decide on a bass. Now the only real choices are body color and maple/morado.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":4pd8y9d4]We're re-tooling the new CNC as we speak. Replacement pickguards won't be a problem.[/quote:4pd8y9d4] Sheldon as you re-tool, can you program to give us a rear route/no pg option please?
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":130xazy3][quote="Sheldon Dingwall":130xazy3]We're re-tooling the new CNC as we speak. Replacement pickguards won't be a problem.[/quote:130xazy3] Sheldon as you re-tool, can you program to give us a rear route/no pg option please?[/quote:130xazy3] THIS!! Bravo!!
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
A P has to have a pickguard. That's what the P in P bass stands for. Well, maybe it's "Precision" but that's only because Leo was told that the Pickguard bass didn't have a nice to ring to it. Honest. I read that on the internet somewhere. Seriously though, rear route might look cool in a more 80's style of P bass. A little more modern. Personally I'm in love with all the lines on the current Super P.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Dave Swift in Dubai this weekend at sound check giving the Super P another workout. What you don't see is all the sand being blown onstage and in his face. Ouch!
Attachments (1)
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
David makes every bass look small :lol:
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I wish the same design on the headstock was available not just the "Cap","Badge" design? It is a nice looking bass.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sheldon, How about putting Mando frets on my Super P for an up charge? Would be nice to match my Prima. Thank you.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Here is a new Super P video from NAMM: [url:5tafrvma]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B4A0K3whNE[/url:5tafrvma]
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
What a great day for a Bassplayer like me yesterday in Frankfurt! Talking with Lee Sklar, Sheldon and Dingwall Sales and testing the Super P. This Bass is amazing, I really love the passive tone control, it sounds perfekt for me. The only problem is, that I still have to wait 4 month to get mine.... H.P.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'd like to hear some feedback on the new mirrored headstock badges vs the whole headstock badge concept.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Sheldon, Personally, I'm in love with the Super J routing rather than any badge at all. Is a badge necessary? I don't mean to sound like a hater, but I'm not a fan of mirrored anything. Why should any member of the audience get a faceful of spotlight? The Super J headstock is perfect, in my opinion. Thanks, GLF
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Dear Sheldon, I am in favour of the scalloped routing, however I respect the reasons behind the need for a faster and cheaper alternative to the routing, you have said in other threads that it is more time consuming for your staff to perform that particular etching and routing rather than cut a plate either plastic or mirror and I do understand you fully. Personally I would be prepared to pay for the extra cash to have it in the original format, however if you, as a manufacturer must steer away from that design, then my suggestion would be not to put a badge at all! Neither black plastic or nor a mirror one, because fashion comes and goes, and while mirror badges might be hot right now, in 5 years time they might look cheesy. So what I dare suggest would be to completely avoid the badges and instead make a gold decal a la Fender spaghetti logo that would follow the profile of the whole line where the scrolled scalloping was, and in the centre of that outline, place the "Super P" or "Super J" logo to be applied in the same gold/black decal and the whole thing covered by a thin layer of lacquer to prevent it from peeling off. I reckon that would also look good on matching headstocks. Sheldon I swear with all my heart and the most respect for you, if I didn't care for your company in such a positive way, I wouldn't have spoken from my heart about this as I have done, I do support the continuation of a good thing, i.e. the scrolled scalloped etching because to me that it's in a class of his own, can't be beaten, copied or even made better, it is [b:bvy1egsp]THE[/b:bvy1egsp] thing that makes a Super J and a Super P that little extra rare and sought after in my views and I would like to see it continued.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I prefer the scallop or nothing at all (just the outline that was on Dave Swift's prototype). The only thing with having no scallop is that you get a bit of that G&L hook look, so you lose a bit of the uniqueness that the scallop has.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have a Super P on order. I would prefer "no badge". I would prefer the line with the Super P inside the line as Dave Swift's bass is or only the Super P logo inscribed. If you would rather do the scalloped then that would be OK to but nothing is better than the "badge". One reason I'm buying the "P" bass style is to have it look somewhat like the original's except for the fanned frets of course of which I would not do without.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
And I think the scallop really needs a matching headstock to make it stand out nicely. Otherwise, I think no scallop, no plaque is best which will look the most traditional.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I also prefer the scallop over the badge. While I do prefer matching headstocks, even without the match I prefer the scallop. That or the inscribing just on the surface (as opposed to being in the scallop). I also really like the contrast provided in the example shown here. It's the next best thing to a matching headstock. [attachment=0:88cfgmu3]Super J with close up of headstock.jpg[/attachment:88cfgmu3] I, too, would pay extra for these over the badge if needed.
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!