New

Super P

Sunday, 13 November 2011
  0 Replies
  573 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We've machined one prototype body to test out the tool paths, here are some photos of the second body. This will be the first one machined on the new CNC.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
On the 4 string Sheldon definitely do a 1 5/8 (1.625) spacing at the nut. I'd like the finishes you were using between '05-'07 on the ABII's. Rear route would be nice too.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":h00v0xjb][quote="Smallmouth_Bass":h00v0xjb]How did the weight come out on the prototype? Was there any more thought to chambering the body to keep the weight down?[/quote:h00v0xjb] 8lbs 7oz. A passive version would be about 4oz lighter. Thinning the body did exactly what I'd hoped. Reduced the weight, increased the punch.[/quote:h00v0xjb] I missed the final verdict on the scale length..? Regular 32-35"? I must admit I find the body big compared to the length of the neck because of the short g string. Would you consider downsizing the body for more aestatic balance and further weight reduction. Or I'm I the only one that feels this way. You also talked about a special bridge. What's up with that? Or is it the regular one piece AB bridge?
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
When I first saw and held my SJ4 it was evident that Sheldon had reduced the overall proportions of the traditional J body, probably just a few mm here and there, but the total result was a more compact bass. I assume he did the same w/ the SuperP, in fact I think he mentioned that earlier in this thread. I doubt that any questionable aesthetics slipped by. Could be the light colored body makes it look chunky. Can't wait to see the 4 string.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I seem to recall Sheldon mentioning that it was a full sized body at the request of Dave Swift (as he's a pretty big guy). However, it is thinner to reduce weight.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Smallmouth_Bass":3v3cwygg]I seem to recall Sheldon mentioning that it was a full sized body at the request of Dave Swift (as he's a pretty big guy). However, it is thinner to reduce weight.[/quote:3v3cwygg] Yes that's what Sheldon said here: [quote="Sheldon Dingwall":3v3cwygg][quote="Smallmouth_Bass":3v3cwygg]How did the weight come out on the prototype? Was there any more thought to chambering the body to keep the weight down?[/quote:3v3cwygg] 8lbs 7oz. A passive version would be about 4oz lighter. Thinning the body did exactly what I'd hoped. Reduced the weight, increased the punch.[/quote:3v3cwygg]
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Looking at the picture again, I think it would look better with slightly deeper cutaways (especially the upper) to give less of a short scale look to it.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Here's another pic of Dave Swift with his Super P [img:5h74lyf5]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/046ad642.jpg[/img:5h74lyf5]
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The more and more I look at it, the more I like it!
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
It's funny that in that latest picture above, it looks like a normal (albeit a 5-string) P-bass if you glance quickly. Then you take another look and see the frets and notice the bridge - "wait, what?". A stealth Dingwall? Or (referencing the latest Transformers movies) "more than meets the eye" ? :lol:
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
As a player I am completely knocked out by the new "P", can't wait for delivery of my Trans White, Maple fb, Matching headstock SP4. This is also a great opportunity to wish all forum members Health and Happiness and the best of the Season where ever you may be. BL
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Merry Christmas to you all at Dingwall guitars, as well as the forum members. Delivery of my 2011 Christmas Dingwall is a few weeks away. I blame the delay on my usual inability to make a decision on the final details. :? Dingwall Sales, do you have a price nailed down on the SuperP yet?
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Mark, No pricing on the SP as of yet, suspect Sheldon and I will get together in the very near future to complete.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":21y77gmn]Here's the completed prototype. Comments from our resident P-nerd Ryan is that it's the best sounding P he's ever heard. Plus it plays so much more evenly than a P.[/quote:21y77gmn] See, now THIS is why I can't come to this forum. Sheldon, you are JUST KILLING ME! Now I HAVE TO HAVE one of these and I'm going to HAVE TO figure out how to pay for one! See, I was so content in my deliberate ignorance and now I'm not going to sleep tonight. :cry:
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks to David Swift for test driving the Super P on the New Years Eve show. This Jesse J song is nice and sparse which shows off Dave's total control of the pocket and the depth of the Super P lows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7dHUjoMsU
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":34k8ehpj]Thanks to David Swift for test driving the Super P on the New Years Eve show. This Jesse J song is nice and sparse which shows off Dave's total control of the pocket and the depth of the Super P lows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7dHUjoMsU[/quote:34k8ehpj] That sounds really good.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi, That sounds great!! When can I buy my own? Dingwall Sales, when will you have the pricing, please? GLF
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Great sound for a YouTube video! It's nice when TV shows get good sound, usually it's like a cheap transistor radio. My New Year's gig looked nothing like that one, but I did have the great Super PJ tone working for me. (Our singer fell down drunk right at mid-night... :shock: ... life in the bush leagues) How come the bass player never gets any close-up camera time?
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="singlemalt":3s14ztmq]How come the bass player never gets any close-up camera time?[/quote:3s14ztmq] Ain't that the way it always is...
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We have officially completed and published the new SP pricing, anyone interested please contact me blamb53@shaw.ca and I will forward you a price list. PLEASE let me know where you live as we have a worldwide clientele and our price lists are specific to different regions around the world.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Email sent.
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!