1. Sheldon Dingwall
  2. Basses
  3. Friday, 11 January 2008
  4.  Subscribe via email
This is the last project we've been working on for NAMM. It's a little brother to the Afterburner. There are a few details to be worked out and financing to be sourced but the goal is to put this into production at a really attractive street price.
Attachments (2)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
nastyn8c Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Dingbat":1gx5l201]Now that I think of it, this should be the new Afterburner design! Just sell it at three levels: 1. This design as it is. 2. This design with AB1 parts/features and, 3. This design with ABII parts and features.

Hmmm, I smell a can of worms.[/quote:1gx5l201]

I don't know about going that far. Lakland went that far with the 55-02, and they're doing very well, but FFs may remain a niche market and not sell as well as Lakland. I'd be afraid of poaching Canadian AB sales with that plan.

OTOH, if this would [u:1gx5l201]replace[/u:1gx5l201] the entire AB line (all AB's outsourced), maybe Sheldon and the gang could streamline production by only having to build Zs and Primas.

Thoughts?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 121
BurningSkies Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I don
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 122
Joe Smithebrger Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Nice job Sheldon. Have you decided about colors? Solid black is always classic.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 123
Mark L Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="nastyn8c":3loliniv]OTOH, if this would [u:3loliniv]replace[/u:3loliniv] the entire AB line (all AB's outsourced), maybe Sheldon and the gang could streamline production by only having to build Zs and Primas.

Thoughts?[/quote:3loliniv]

I would like to see the heel design on the budget model carried over to the AB.

Keep the AB in-house as much as possible. Anyway, I figure the AB costs too much to outsource completely.

Mark
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 124
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":wykcyybq]I would like to see the heel design on the budget model carried over to the AB.

Keep the AB in-house as much as possible. Anyway, I figure the AB costs too much to outsource completely.[/quote:wykcyybq]

That's probably true. I was just thinking of ways to possibly cut the backorder time down.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 125
fullrangebass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
A good start is to forbid that Fullie guy from ordering any more Dingwalls for the next couple of years :wink:
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 126
Mark L Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":2vf85xp3]A good start is to forbid that Fullie guy from ordering any more Dingwalls for the next couple of years :wink:[/quote:2vf85xp3]

Uh huh. :P

Mark
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 127
AK Rev Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
To give another perspective, I have never handled a Dingwall but I'm considering buying one sight unseen. I don't have to handle one to know that I'm interested and buying sight unseen is not a big deal. I bought a new Roscoe LG3005 sight unseen and they are twice as much as the pricepoint being discussed here.

I really like the latest prototype body photo from Sheldon. It looks fantastic. Personally, I would leave out the chrome hardware as I think it looks a bit cheap. 22 or 24 fret matters not to me. It will have passive capabilities right?

I'm intrigued by the possibilities here. Any rough idea what kind of timeframe we are looking at here? I'm considering buying a used ABI 5 string if the right one comes along. Maybe I want to wait a bit to have this option?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 128
Funkshwey Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
AK Rev I bought my 1st ABII-5 fretted sight unseen. A year later I bought an ABII-5 fretless sight unseen. You won't be disappointed
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 129
vikunja Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="AK Rev":2g8l8w30] Any rough idea what kind of timeframe we are looking at here? I'm considering buying a used ABI 5 string if the right one comes along. Maybe I want to wait a bit to have this option?[/quote:2g8l8w30]

What AK Rev asked. When will the "prototype" be roughly available? I was also considering an AB1, but like the shape of the new prototype much better! Looks are important :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 130
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
We'll be shipping off another sample this week. I expect the first models to be in production in late fall.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 131
vikunja Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the update Sheldon!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 132
AK Rev Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Late fall...I will have to seriously consider waiting or at least think hard about it.

I can't recall if these are going to all be 5 strings or if there will be 4's or 6's available? If there were going to be any 4's, I would consider picking up a used ABI 5 sooner and one of these in 4 later. I want a 5 of course but would consider a 4 if they were available at the mentioned pricepoint of $900-1200.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 133
Evolver Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":m4hav2th]AK Rev I bought my 1st ABII-5 fretted sight unseen. A year later I bought an ABII-5 fretless sight unseen. You won't be disappointed[/quote:m4hav2th]

I ordered my AB-II sight unseen as well. I'm lreally ooking forward to seeing it!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 134
fullrangebass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Most of my Dingwalls were bought sight unseen and untouched. Never regretted a single one
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 135
bassplayinbill Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":21if80hm]Most of my Dingwalls were bought sight unseen and untouched. Never regretted a single one[/quote:21if80hm]

+1
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 136
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
Keep in mind we haven't committed to colors yet. Here's an idea for a metallic.
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 137
Funkshwey Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Man that's sharp.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 138
Registered
Votes
Undo
Done deal. That' awesome.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 139
Bocete Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Me like.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 140

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.