1. Sheldon Dingwall
  2. Basses
  3. Friday, 11 January 2008
  4.  Subscribe via email
This is the last project we've been working on for NAMM. It's a little brother to the Afterburner. There are a few details to be worked out and financing to be sourced but the goal is to put this into production at a really attractive street price.
Attachments (2)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Funkshwey Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
You know Burning that's exactly why I didn't do an open ended thread to see what players want. Sheldon's got the design down already.

I started a poll specifically to tie up just the last few details that Sheldon's debating because I knew a thread like that would end up w/ crank like "When he does a graphite neck I'm in".
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 101
BurningSkies Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":3tnyfuct]You know Burning that's exactly why I didn't do an open ended thread to see what players want. Sheldon's got the design down already.

I started a poll specifically to tie up just the last few details that Sheldon's debating because I knew a thread like that would end up w/ crank like "When he does a graphite neck I'm in".[/quote:3tnyfuct]

I was a bit bemused last night to find 3 threads about this on TB...which seems like um...too many! I don't mean to throw stones in any one direction since I know everyone has the best of intentions.

It might have been better to not even attach a name and ask a general questionnaire type thread...just to find out what people are interested in without even needing the Dingwall name in the mix.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 102
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":1xcj05gk][quote="Funkshwey":1xcj05gk]You know Burning that's exactly why I didn't do an open ended thread to see what players want. Sheldon's got the design down already.

I started a poll specifically to tie up just the last few details that Sheldon's debating because I knew a thread like that would end up w/ crank like "When he does a graphite neck I'm in".[/quote:1xcj05gk]

I was a bit bemused last night to find 3 threads about this on TB...which seems like um...too many! I don't mean to throw stones in any one direction since I know everyone has the best of intentions.

It might have been better to not even attach a name and ask a general questionnaire type thread...just to find out what people are interested in without even needing the Dingwall name in the mix.[/quote:1xcj05gk]

I agree it was too many and I was surprised by the other thread which took focus off the polls.

You have to attach a name because FF's are unique, that has to be taken into consideration. Parallel I could understand leaving the name out. It's all good and I think from the polls the majority wants 24 frets. Good to know.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 103
Dragonlord Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":3e5zz9pe]I agree it was too many and I was surprised by the other thread which took focus off the polls.

You have to attach a name because FF's are unique, that has to be taken into consideration. Parallel I could understand leaving the name out. It's all good and I think from the polls the majority wants 24 frets. Good to know.[/quote:3e5zz9pe]
Actually, my thread didn't "take focus off the pollS", because their was only one poll at the moment. Anyway, mine was a completely different thread, and I don't think that having 2 or 3 threads made on the same day hurts the brand first because it doesn't happen every day and second because they weren't made by Sheldon, they were made by customers/fans and I'm sure everyone understands that. No big deal IMO.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 104
Brim Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Dragonlord":pigll8u2][quote="Funkshwey":pigll8u2]I agree it was too many and I was surprised by the other thread which took focus off the polls.

You have to attach a name because FF's are unique, that has to be taken into consideration. Parallel I could understand leaving the name out. It's all good and I think from the polls the majority wants 24 frets. Good to know.[/quote:pigll8u2]
Actually, my thread didn't "take focus off the pollS", because their was only one poll at the moment. Anyway, mine was a completely different thread, and I don't think that having 2 or 3 threads made on the same day hurts the brand first because it doesn't happen every day and second because they weren't made by Sheldon, they were made by customers/fans and I'm sure everyone understands that. No big deal IMO.[/quote:pigll8u2]

I'm trying hard to derail both threads at TalkBass by posting pics of awesome Dingwalls! Actually, it's more "plugging" than derailing! :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 105
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
It's all good guys. I'm sure the talkbass threads will fade into the back pages and things will be business as usual by tomorrow. Thankfully there was something to learn from each thread. If you sift out the jokers and the curmudgeons, there are some really succinct opinions.

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and input.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 106
Mark L Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Uhhh, didn't Sheldon ask for input? I wouldn't worry- I'm sure he's completely able to sort out the BS responses from the informed and useful responses here. Kudos to Dr. Wood for being so accessible and open to input (64 tone combinations?!).

Anyway, IMO this budget Dingwall is going to catch the eye of the same type of player that the upper tier Dingwalls do - the player looking for something different, one who is adventurous and informed, one that sometimes overplays a bit and maybe is a smartass at times :roll: :wink:, one searching for that [i:220sw5o2]something different[/i:220sw5o2]. I first saw a Dingwall in a bass guitar buyers guide and thought, "Wow, that looks so badass, and I get what he's trying to do with the fanned frets - I gotta get one!" Some people will have the same reaction I did, maybe worse :) :P . Others will look at the FFs and say, "No way! Where are the Fenders?"

There are old threads on the forum where this came up a few years back, debates about the viability and practicality of a budget DDG bass. Fanned frets enjoy only cult status now, and probably always will. That's nothing new for FFs- the idea goes back many, many years, and has yet to be realised by the masses as the superior design. Straight frets are good enough for most players because most players settle for "good enough", I guess.

Exposure is the key if this model is to sell in the numbers needed to make a profit. Budget boutique basses have been pulled off successfully before, like the Cort Curbow and Elrick models, to name two. There are many others that are currently more popular than these. I'd love to be able to order my budget Dingwall from Musicians Friend someday, but we should let it evolve naturally and without too much influence from people who are just talking and won't buy one anyway. It's different players, like us hardcore Dingwallers, that will buy this bass. You just have to get a picture in front of them and keep the price at $1200 or less. And ditch the chrome hardware.

Mark
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 107
nastyn8c Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":3qp6djpk]You just have to get a picture in front of them and keep the price at $1200 or less. And ditch the chrome hardware.[/quote:3qp6djpk]

+2
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 108
Registered
Votes
Undo
Funny, I like the chrome hardware! Although my all time favorite is the brushed chrome that was a one-off on a Prima a year or two ago (I think it was Geoff's?)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 109
fullrangebass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
It was JMK's. cause I own Geoff's :P
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 110
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":1dkn22kj]Funny, I like the chrome hardware! Although my all time favorite is the brushed chrome that was a one-off on a Prima a year or two ago (I think it was Geoff's?)[/quote:1dkn22kj]
I don't dislike chrome either. Haven't seen the one you're saying, but I remember liking warwick's "satin chrome" which is probably the same thing. The thing is, I think most of us have connected chrome hardware with our first $200 bass - I know I have. And anyway, chrome is fine, but I still like black better.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 111
nastyn8c Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Dragonlord":1ngbhgeq][quote="BurningSkies":1ngbhgeq]The thing is, I think most of us have connected chrome hardware with our first $200 bass - I know I have. And anyway, chrome is fine, but I still like black better.[/quote:1ngbhgeq][/quote:1ngbhgeq]

That's been my point, just didn't know how to say it :)

If you think of this as the entry-level bass, some have said it's a good thing that it looks obviously cheaper than Sheldon's Dingwalls. When you remember that it's still a Dingwall, and it's still $1200, it has to look as expensive as it can for the build cost.

There's no danger of something like this poaching the sales of the higher end Dingwalls, even the ABI. If someone wants an ABI, with the FD-3/Mach II pickups and unbelievable fit and finish, they'll pay for it. If they just want the fanned frets, $1200 for an active FF bass is far from unreasonable.

In all seriousness, which would you most like to have?
1) $1325 - Lakland 55-02
2) $1600 - EBMM Stingray 5 (keep in mind they don't get nearly the fit and finish they used to, even if it's made in North America)
3) $1200 - Dingwall Afterburner GL

I know, without a doubt, what I'd jump on even before I tried fanned frets, even when I still loved Lakland basses. (Don't worry, it's the GL.) This is the competition, not the high end Dingwall basses. Don't worry about holding anything back, because with the price point and the fact that Sheldon isn't building it, it will never compare to playing a Canadian Dingwall.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 112
Registered
Votes
Undo
BTW, I've been trying to think of names and I came up with Dingwall Esperanto - like Esperanto, music (and bass) is also a global language and this model will be Dingwall's attempt to reach out to as many players as possible. Just a thought.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 113
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
It's been a long day, but I feel pretty good about what's been accomplished.

This should be the final prototype on our end. We've left lots of flexibility in the pickups. Tweaked the body shape to be as sexy as possible. The body wood is African Mahogany (Khaya). I really like the weight, tone and the way it machines...hmmm.

Anyway, time for some sleep.
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 114
Registered
Votes
Undo
Wow. It dosen't have the neck heel on the front. I think you've overcome any objections a buyer might have with that design Sheldon. The PU's even follow the fan. Great job!

That body to neck joint should probably be applied to the AB's too.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 115
Bocete Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Hey, salutations :D

I am very keen on getting a fanned 6 string on day. And I couldn't afford a AB, so, are there plans on making a 6 string budget model, and how soon? I realize a budget model needs to have as little options as possible so parts could be produced quickly. I mean, a 6er would demand a new neck, new pickups, and a new body to fit the wider neck, therefore it's got nothing to do with a 5er. But, I guess I'm not the only one that would like to see a budget 6 stringer, dunno..

So, what's your opinion on that option, and if it's possible, how long should I wait?

Bocete
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 116
Mark L Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
It looks great, Sheldon. Clear-coat it, slap the hardware on, and I'll take it. :)

Mark
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 117
Registered
Votes
Undo
Hey wait! Don't forget me![b:15et9pur] I'll take a proto!!!![/b:15et9pur]
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 118
Uncle Balsamic Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I haven't even ordered a Dingwall yet and I'm already planning a second now. Nice work!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 119
Dingbat Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Apart from the hardware choices, I don't see how that could be a "cheaper" Afterburner. It is beautiful. The body shape and the neck joint is more eye-pleasing to me than the Afterburner. I really like the look of the Super J-style neck pocket. It's even got 24 frets!

Curse you Sheldon! If I find that the neck feels better than my ABII, I will curse you again! :wink:

I'm sure a lot of players are going to buy this and upgrade the "low-end" bits, which are certainly not low-end compared to other brands of bass.

Now that I think of it, this should be the new Afterburner design! Just sell it at three levels: 1. This design as it is. 2. This design with AB1 parts/features and, 3. This design with ABII parts and features.

Hmmm, I smell a can of worms.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 120

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.