Saturday, 23 February 2008
  0 Replies
  6.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We've got a nice run of Z's going at the moment. Another one to start soon. Some of you may recognize these bodies already.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Mark-- I have FD1s in my ABI. I don't think - at least it hasn't -farted or burped for me. The pickups are super punchy, tons of mids, aggressive sounding. Not like any fender Jazz bass I've ever played. Now my rear p'up on my SJ has a lot of bark in it, but i believe its a one off from Sheldon
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="evilgus":8rceteq0]Given I rarely use passive mode and generally have some bass & treble boost going, would Fatties give me something similar with flat EQ? (At least the bass boost bit.) Cheers, EG[/quote:8rceteq0] Yes, I'm sure you could dial it in. Speaking of pickups, I have said in the past, and have also mentioned to Sheldon, my only niggle with my Dingwalls was that I couldn't get the bridge pickups to bark and fart like a Jazz bass. I've heard FD1s have that tone, but somebody else will have to confirm that. The Mach pickups that Sheldon put in my Voodoo came closer to getting that tone, but still lacked that certain midrange bump I wanted. The Fatties have that tone available, but with the switching options available a Z3 can pull off any tone you should need. When I get another upmarket Dingwall, it will definitely have Fatties. Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Good discussion, guys, I've also been contemplating a custom Z order and wondering whether to try Fatties or stick with FD-3 4Ls. My ABII is really rocking my socks off and I don't want to lose that general sound, but also not sure I could afford to keep both basses. Given I rarely use passive mode and generally have some bass & treble boost going, would Fatties give me something similar with flat EQ? (At least the bass boost bit.) Cheers, EG
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="John H.":8lziljaz][quote="Dragonlord":8lziljaz]Good decision, to be honest I never understood going with super fatties on Zs. OK, I'm sure they're great for the super J, but it's a more traditional oriented tone, with less definition and harmonic content. FD-3s are incredible pickups and I wouldn't want an AB/Z/Prima with fatties instead of FD-3s. That's where my excitement about the Z3 ended too.[/quote:8lziljaz] Hi Dragonlord, Where did you get the impression that the Super Fatties have less definition and harmonic content than the FD-3s? When I played the FD-3s and Fatties side by side (my ABII and twoport's Z3), I didn't get that impression. They were different in subtle ways, but I don't think one was less than the other. Let me know your experience. Thanks, John[/quote:8lziljaz] +1, John. I see the Fatties as having all the qualities the FD3 has, but they're hotter and punchier. You can dial it in to sound like FDs if you want. It's the Dingwall pickup that you can get to break up if you push it. I can get very convincing P and J bass tones, or modern tones out of my Z3. The Fatties rock. Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Dragonlord":1fosrbj5]Good decision, to be honest I never understood going with super fatties on Zs. OK, I'm sure they're great for the super J, but it's a more traditional oriented tone, with less definition and harmonic content. FD-3s are incredible pickups and I wouldn't want an AB/Z/Prima with fatties instead of FD-3s. That's where my excitement about the Z3 ended too.[/quote:1fosrbj5] Hi Dragonlord, Where did you get the impression that the Super Fatties have less definition and harmonic content than the FD-3s? When I played the FD-3s and Fatties side by side (my ABII and twoport's Z3), I didn't get that impression. They were different in subtle ways, but I don't think one was less than the other. Let me know your experience. Thanks, John
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Good decision, to be honest I never understood going with super fatties on Zs. OK, I'm sure they're great for the super J, but it's a more traditional oriented tone, with less definition and harmonic content. FD-3s are incredible pickups and I wouldn't want an AB/Z/Prima with fatties instead of FD-3s. That's where my excitement about the Z3 ended too.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Mine are also FD-3 Mach II 4L pickups.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sheldon bleached the spalted top, to remove as much of the brown/tan color as possible. It will be finished in a black burst. Pickups will be the FD-3 Mach IIs with switchable series/parallel on both.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Frank and BunrningSkies, Which pickups are going in your Z1s? Beautiful spault tops!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="amodeo@mitre.org":181kfu1h]Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the third one in the top picture. And playing it! :lol:[/quote:181kfu1h] Super nice top on that one! Mine's in the bottom picture, far left! Anyone wants more detailed shots, I've got a thread running at TB with more!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the third one in the top picture. And playing it! :lol:
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm looking forward to seeing that new Z3, as always, and the Z1 with fatties. The top looks great!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Looks like Sheldon decided to make the Super Fatties parallel on the new Zs.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Can't wait to see the Z2 with Fatties. Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Here's a quick shot of the current run. See you in a week.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="amodeo@mitre.org":3ed4puwn]Are there any photos of the last two Zs from this group (or three Zs if you count that reworked voodoo)? Or did I miss them? Also (and more important from my perspective), any idea when the next batch of Zs will be underway?[/quote:3ed4puwn] Just got an update from Sheldon...looks like either my batch 1.5 Z, or possibly batch 2 are soon to happen. Got a picture of my new top/body blank glued up and ready for the CNC...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":2hxuovjf]I confess, I confess. I have nothing to do with this Z2!!! On the other hand, we never know what the future holds!!! :wink:[/quote:2hxuovjf] Oh yes we do, when it comes to Fullrange and Dingwalls! :wink: Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I confess, I confess. I have nothing to do with this Z2!!! On the other hand, we never know what the future holds!!! :wink:
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":10szxr0e][quote="BurningSkies":10szxr0e]Just a quick update. I believe at this time the Z-2 has been claimed. One of our people has contacted Sheldon and has made arrangements for this bass to be theirs...and going far far away from Saskatoon. Congratulations to the new owner, you're going to have an amazing bass![/quote:10szxr0e] Stop the madness, Eddy! (I think). BTW, isn't [i:10szxr0e]everywhere[/i:10szxr0e] far away from The Flatlands? Mark[/quote:10szxr0e] Wrong continent.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":3omdx91y]Just a quick update. I believe at this time the Z-2 has been claimed. One of our people has contacted Sheldon and has made arrangements for this bass to be theirs...and going far far away from Saskatoon. Congratulations to the new owner, you're going to have an amazing bass![/quote:3omdx91y] Stop the madness, Eddy! (I think). BTW, isn't [i:3omdx91y]everywhere[/i:3omdx91y] far away from The Flatlands? Mark
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!