Saturday, 23 February 2008
  0 Replies
  7.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We've got a nice run of Z's going at the moment. Another one to start soon. Some of you may recognize these bodies already.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Awesome! I had a friend ask where the 'dark' Z was headed and I had to say I didn't have any idea...It looks great and was definitely quite a stand out in the current Z batch! Congratulations and I hope you continue to enjoy your new bass.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Howdy gang... Just wanted to jump in here and say hi. I've been lurking here for a few months, watching the Z1 with Super Fatties wind its way to completion. Just five days ago it arrived on my doorstep, and I've gotta say it's been a fun week! So far I've brought it out for a rehearsal (R.E.M. cover band--not very authentic, but I couldn't resist) and for a set with my jazz trio. The drummer, a real gear nut who's crazy about wood, was blown away by the craftsmanship. This weekend I'll be bringing the Dingwall to another jazz trio gig, my praise and worship church gig, and a big band gig (gotta bring an electric in case the leader calls "La Fiesta"!) So, in summary: --The bass looks amazing, and has elicted many "oohs" and "aaahs" --I've fielded three questions about the fanned frets so far --The Super Fatties sound AMAZING! I'm going into a friend's studio next week just to play with the different preamp settings and see how they record. Finally, a picture of the Dingwall in its new home:
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Nic DB":3dye7wrz] This 'preview' thread is a lot of fun and also a real wind up for those of us with basses near to completion, I keep checking back to see what has turned up next and in the back of my mind I am thinking"1 day it will be mine!!" :lol: I hope I am not the only one developing this affliction :oops: [/quote:3dye7wrz] You are definitely not the only one, Nick! I have been daydreaming about the day my Zebra arrives since my deposit cleared :) "1 day it will be mine"...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Nice! I'm happy that Ross chose to go with a maple board and neck! I really love that piece of spalt, and it looks great bursted! Congratulations, Ross!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hey Sheldon you are a tease :P Another beauty by the looks of things,I just love the look of spalted maple,I look forward to seeing the whole bass. This 'preview' thread is a lot of fun and also a real wind up for those of us with basses near to completion, I keep checking back to see what has turned up next and in the back of my mind I am thinking"1 day it will be mine!!" :lol: I hope I am not the only one developing this affliction :oops: And, for the record, I know we all appreciate you going the extra mile to get pictures of your latest creation up for us to enjoy, thanks. Regards Nic
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Great to hear Bill. Enjoy! Next out of the gate a Z2 for one of our friends down under (I guess "up over" from his perspective). Two shots for now, two later.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The eagle has landed... :shock: Sheldon has officially made me the most beautiful bass ever! No time to play today, as its crazy at work, but I'll be playing with my favorite drummer tonight and I'll report back!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That bass will look really super crazy under stage lights!! Looks like candy! Yum!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Right...now we are only missing the two Z2s and the lonely Z3 from this batch(in comparison to the previous batch, has the novelty of the Z3 worn off??). I find myself very interested in the no-top Z2 with Fatties from Sheldons original group shot..
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Uncle Balsamic":2djsh1xo]Wow! That looks so good as a whole bass. I particularly love the inlays! Enjoy that bass when you get it![/quote:2djsh1xo] The inlays were Sheldon's idea, and came along well before the release of any of the 70's style Super-J basses. I really liked the idea, because from the start I really wanted to 'tie' all of the parts of the bass together, and this does it perfectly. The 5 and 12 positioning of the blocks was my thought. I really would have been happy with an unmarked maple neck and thought it would be a good way to balance the action of the top wood, finish and headstock, but it became apparent by me playing my AB, that I need some markings in some live band situations where other may need some visual guidance. The two blocks are effective and also minimal in that regard.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Me doing my best Homer Simpson impersonation: "Mmmmm...inlays!"(complete with drooling) :lol: Amazing instrument! Sheldon for president! :D
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
It's great, but I'm not fond of a maple board with a matching headstock. With a wenge board I would gig that even in my thrashmetal band! The finisch is simply awesome and I love the inlays.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Congrats on the completion of your Z! Hopefully we'll see some action shots before too long. John
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Wow! That looks so good as a whole bass. I particularly love the inlays! Enjoy that bass when you get it!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Fantastic!!!! Congratulations to both Sheldon and you!!!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Smallmouth_Bass":24wlpcyv]...but I love the way the colours flow from the body to the inlays and the headstock.[/quote:24wlpcyv] I like that too. I think the maple neck looks great with these colors! What a unique bass.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":2vo4yerj][i:2vo4yerj]Bling![/i:2vo4yerj] [img:2vo4yerj]http://homepage.mac.com/burningskies/.Pictures/Full.Joey.jpg[/img:2vo4yerj][/quote:2vo4yerj] Oh yeah! N
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Whoa! The blocks might require some getting used to, but I love the way the colours flow from the body to the inlays and the headstock. Something tells me that there's going to be some big reggae grooves coming soon!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[i:1bfkvaco]Bling![/i:1bfkvaco] [img:1bfkvaco]http://homepage.mac.com/burningskies/.Pictures/Full.Joey.jpg[/img:1bfkvaco]
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Brim":a0zi15p5][quote="BurningSkies":a0zi15p5]Turns out I like a fair amount of flash.[/quote:a0zi15p5] You'll get more solos now!! :)[/quote:a0zi15p5] I play in a reggae band. I solo all night long. :wink: I'm the loudest instrument in the band, and sound men sometimes have a hard time understanding that I'm the 'lead' instrument.
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!