Saturday, 23 February 2008
  0 Replies
  7.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We've got a nice run of Z's going at the moment. Another one to start soon. Some of you may recognize these bodies already.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Congratulations Ross This Z2 really looks great and I and sure it really sounds so fantastic. I am sure you will be very very busy playing this bass every singly free moment you get (I just love my Z2's esp my OMT one) As far as the 62 tones go, I have to admit that I am a glutton for Sheldon's tones. I need to confess now. "Father I have sinned, for I am waiting for another yet Dingwall to be constructed by Sheldon in the future :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (hope fully not tooo far). The worse part is that I'm already planning my next Dingwall before the previous one arrives :wink:. That is Sheldon's fault really!!! " Now that I have confessed my Ding-aholism publicly I'll go and start trying Dingwalls for tonight's gig. I'm taking two (5 strings that is). Just tell me which ones to take
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":2vfcc27l]Nice! That Z2 is on its way to Australia, I believe! Congratulations, Ross!!! We'll want to hear all about it...[/quote:2vfcc27l] That's the one. Air Canada got it to Melbourne Airport for me to pick up last Monday. Have been tinkering ever since. Even though I'm an AB1 player and used to Sheldon's product, I'm still blown away by the creativity, innovation and the craftsmanship - this Z2 is another level again. The whole instrument seems alive acoustically. Found my favourite tones. The search for the P sound in my head is now over. With the range of the pre and the parallel/serial switching of the pups there's almost too much flexibility for me. Fullie how do you handle 61 tones? :lol: In fact the flexibility comes as quite a surprise with the pup layout: there is a distinctive difference between the front and back pups that even the most cloth-eared can hear. I'm using mostly the front in parallel, and both in series with the pups in series, and this will give me a great range for a gig. I'll eventually get around to series/parallel combos on the pups, but that'll take a while. Looks and feels great in person. I envy Sheldon his eye for detail. Can't be happier. Thanks again for the chance to jump the queue Bill. Now about that GTG... Cheers Ross
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Nice! That Z2 is on its way to Australia, I believe! Congratulations, Ross!!! We'll want to hear all about it...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":2ssyibbt]Have a great weekend all. [img:2ssyibbt]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/files/z1_5_spalt_3tone_full_joey_web_189.jpg[/img:2ssyibbt][/quote:2ssyibbt] Nice one Sheldon! I like the pickup covers - they "pop" but blend in at the same time. Btw...isn't that a Z2? You labeled the image file "Z1-5". Peace, Brim
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That 3tone burst is really beautiful, Sheldon. I like the way you have used a lot of red, so it turns out a hybrid between a 3tone and 2tone honeyburst. Stunning(again)! :D
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Snowdog79":g8ps13ig]Howdy gang... --The bass looks amazing, and has elicted many "oohs" and "aaahs" --I've fielded three questions about the fanned frets so far --The Super Fatties sound AMAZING! I'm going into a friend's studio next week just to play with the different preamp settings and see how they record.[/quote:g8ps13ig] Welcome to another Texas Dingwall owner. Nice bass, for sure. Congrats. PM me if you head east. I'll be happy to show you my humble Dingwall collection. Until recently, our fair state had the greatest concentration of Dingwall basses in one territory. That claim has been knocked down by Fullrange, who is the overlord of the Dingwall black hole located somewhere in Europe. Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Wow, that black D twelfth fret inlay on the maple fingerboard looks great!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Have a great weekend all.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":kn6n2v5r]I feel that the bass has the most vital role in the band. [/quote:kn6n2v5r] You, me, and Joe Z. :) (see signature below) Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I try to absorb and analyze whatever my fellow Ding-aholics are saying, so I learn from you guys!!! and I thank you for that. And most important, I thank Sheldon for bearing with my crazy HI-ideas (Headache-Inducing ideas that is) I try to see the big picture and not just the tone alone. I compose first and foremost on the bass :shock: :shock: :shock: and add the rest of the instruments after the bass (drums first, then guitar or piano etc). I feel that the bass has the most vital role in the band. Just my humble opinion
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I also think Fullie has applied his depth of tone knowledge in a way few others could. I'm musing on how he selects the bass for the particular project and song etc. That's of course a great idea but expands that he also has a producer's mindset because of how he hears his sound in other contexts. This gives me something new to aspire to also. And that's Fun! :wink:
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="TwoPort":2nqo1wol]... I find that I get stuck on one for a few months and ignore the others... :wink: [/quote:2nqo1wol] [quote="Wikipedia":2nqo1wol]Serial monogamy is having no more than one sexual partner at a time but allows for multiple partners in a lifetime.[/quote:2nqo1wol] So, you are serial monogamous. It's your nature that makes you stick to one bass at a time, embrace it. Fullie is clearly polygamous.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hey TwoPort. How are you doing? I have several projects and bands running at once, at any given time. Add that even for "practicing/composing/ideas-advancing playing, I choose a different Dingwall every single time eg I have my Zebra next to me right now to get ready for the Sunday gig, so I know that it has an aggressive sound with a sharp attack and nice growly mids. This bass would not be my first choice for my latest Latin composition, where a less growly (but more piano-like) is needed.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yo Fullie: With the "Library of Congress Dingwall collection" how do you decide which bass to use for an event? I find that I get stuck on one for a few months and ignore the others... :wink:
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That poor Carvin knows it's days are numbered. [quote="Snowdog79":3advdawy]Howdy gang... Just wanted to jump in here and say hi. I've been lurking here for a few months, watching the Z1 with Super Fatties wind its way to completion. Just five days ago it arrived on my doorstep, and I've gotta say it's been a fun week! So far I've brought it out for a rehearsal (R.E.M. cover band--not very authentic, but I couldn't resist) and for a set with my jazz trio. The drummer, a real gear nut who's crazy about wood, was blown away by the craftsmanship. This weekend I'll be bringing the Dingwall to another jazz trio gig, my praise and worship church gig, and a big band gig (gotta bring an electric in case the leader calls "La Fiesta"!) So, in summary: --The bass looks amazing, and has elicted many "oohs" and "aaahs" --I've fielded three questions about the fanned frets so far --The Super Fatties sound AMAZING! I'm going into a friend's studio next week just to play with the different preamp settings and see how they record. Finally, a picture of the Dingwall in its new home:[/quote:3advdawy]
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have three...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":2imetnra][quote="fullrangebass":2imetnra]Guitarted, just got his 3rd.[/quote:2imetnra] Uhh, 4th. Hoping a CLG Combustion will be #5 this holiday season. :) Mark[/quote:2imetnra] My humble apologies Mark. I was too busy trying to find other Ding-aholics who set the bad example for me (just like yourself and BurningSkies :wink: ), so I forgot that you are up to 4 Dingwalls now
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":2swp573s]Guitarted, just got his 3rd.[/quote:2swp573s] Uhh, 4th. Hoping a CLG Combustion will be #5 this holiday season. :) Mark
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Quick update... Tonight was my usual Tuesday night rehearsal with my African/reggae outfit, and the bass was very well received. In fact our singer, a dread from Ghana, came over and kissed it. Our drummer, also a dread, but a pretty uptight one, loved it as well. My guitar player, who's made disparaging comments about many of my basses even had nothing bad to say. They ALL took cell phone pictures of it. It worked perfectly. I set my LMII flat and rode the EQ on the bass. As expected, I spent most of my time in series (x3) and with the treble rolled off various amounts from about 1/3 back to just a touch off center. I really like the lows on the OBP, and found that I didn't have to push it too hard to be where I liked. It can be pushed harder and still doesn't get muddy, which I liked, and worked for 'old school' roots sounds. The bass itself is very comfortable. It's heavier than my ABI, but I find it more comfortable and the extra weight (which isn't much really) doesn't feel bad to me. The radiusing of the body shape is very nice, and I had been slightly worried that the 'point' of the Voodoo cut might fall where my are does, but it doesn't. My arm rides right behind it by about an inch or so, and that places my right hand for playing right at the bass of the neck between it and the neck pickup. The only change I made to the setup was to lower the pickups. I did it by 3/4 of a turn on each screw, and recorded it so that I could reverse it if I didn't like it. I did so not for sound but because I want those beautiful pickups to remain beautiful, no matter how heated my playing gets when I'm 'in the moment'. I couldn't tell a tonal or volume difference, but because the bass is new, I knew I wouldn't pick up on the difference anyway! So, its a blast to play this thing...its got more presence and very much sounds like an 'ash' bass to me. It was great to be able to ride my adjustments from the bass rather than the amp, and really my only adjustments were for the song, not overall tone shaping. After rehearsal stopped, my other drummer came in and we jammed with my guitarist and keys player, and this bass is really fun because you can move from finger to slap, etc. without needing loads of tweaking when you're running flat or even slightly bright. Again, thanks Sheldon.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Welcome aboard Snowdog79 Congratulations on your great new bass. It will give you great joy for years to come, I am sure. You will very soon realize that once you get hooked, there is no other alternative. Look at BurningSkies, for example. He just got his second. Guitarted, just got his 3rd. (we are not talking about that shady Fullie guy... he is too hooked for a good reason :wink: ) Now, if I could just lend you a "normal" Z1 (FD3 equipped, I mean), then your DAS would explode, and you'd immediately order another Dingwall :wink:
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!