Saturday, 23 February 2008
  0 Replies
  7.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
We've got a nice run of Z's going at the moment. Another one to start soon. Some of you may recognize these bodies already.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Wow John cool. What electronics options did you opt for?
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":2c8yydnb]These two are boxed up and ready to leave the nest.[/quote:2c8yydnb] Sheldon, I can't thank you and Jeff enough for making this 2-plus year journey a pleasure, every step of the way. Although I can't wait for the UPS truck to arrive, I'll miss the thinking, planning and collaborating that were very much a part of the best purchase experience I've ever had - one that is not likely ever to be surpassed. Man, I can't wait to see what she looks like in person and check out the great tones. Forever a Dingwall player/customer, John
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Interesting-- I see alot more fatties going into the higher end basses than traditional FD pickups? Are the requests that much higher for fatties and have players opinions told you that fatties are sonically better or are they just that much easier to work w? I know your only showing a portion of the high end basses to us - care to opinionate? frank
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
These two are boxed up and ready to leave the nest.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Happy New Year Sheldon. Please save me a book match to this piece of quilted maple for my Z3. It is gorgeous. I love the color to. Is that Whale Pool or Stormy Monday? Thank's for the pics. David
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Insane quilt like this is getting next to impossible to find. It sure makes finishing fun though.
Attachments (1)
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Nice touch bringing the finish into the neck.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I've been slacking off on the progress photos lately. Here are a couple more from the Turning Leafburst Z3 PA style.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
By providing eye candy pics to these drop dead gorgeous basses, Sheldon is trying to tempt me to order another Dingwall :wink: . Do you think he will succeed??? :wink: :wink: :wink: (I can hear Sheldon shouting "Honestly not!!! FRB has only crazy ideas and I want my sanity!!!") Great inlays too
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That detail is crazy! Great work as always.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We're cutting back on inlays on the Z's here's I think the last one for now. Tumbling Tetrahedrons. I spent a lot of quality time with my magnifying glasses handling the tiny triangles. Personally I think those jewelers magnifying glasses look pretty dorky, but I'm starting to get pretty dependent on them.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I haven't had time to take photos during the build on this last one, but there are some really nice ones that will be showing up here in the next couple of days. Here's a one-off Z3 with a Prima Artist body shape and a Prima Artist with a Flame Maple treble core instead of Alder and a figured Walnut bass core.
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Beepo":o3pikxj8]Oh Lordee Lordee! :shock: I can hardly find the pickups :lol: What a fantastic looking PA! Can you brief us on the extended control layout? Thanks for sharing the goods! If I can't own them all, at least I can look at them, and have sweet dreams...[/quote:o3pikxj8] The wood is really crazy! The layout is: Bass & Treble Knobs Blend of Piezo and Pickups Rotary for pickup selectors like regular z Volume Top Switches Switch 1 is MIDI/MIDI & Pickups / Pickups Switch 2 is Preamp On & Off Bottom Switches: Preamp on/off Blue Cube The Piezzo's are awesome. None of the nasty thud cause I think because of the long string length and Sheldon's awesome build quality. SUPER deep low end from the Piezzo's and the fact that it continuously blends with the other PUs gives me just a whole different tone range. For some reason i have gravitated towards slower legato kinds of stuff for the Piezzos ...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="TwoPort":3qczv5fs]This is much better than the Dupont Registry...[/quote:3qczv5fs] I can't keep up anymore. Is this this the first post for this bass? This is a great thread, indeed, but Italian cars from the 60s also give me the same chubby feeling I get when looking at these works of art. :) Mark
Attachments (1)
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Wow-- Beautiful bass. and more piezo mounted bridge goodness. Are they also RMC transducers? do you have a polybuffer as well to mix the mag p'ups sound w/ the piezo's I have RMC piezos put on the bridge of my SuperJ prototype. I had them installed for the capability to control the roland Vbass unit, which its works extremely well on, but IMO the tone of the piezos solo'd = yuck. The only term i can use to describe it is "boink", lots of boinks however, mix'd in w/ the mag pickups it sounds super warm w/ tons of high mids. Nothing like a "J" bass. So maybe w/ the musicman like tone of the Z2 mix'd w/ the piezos sounds much better . Any opinion w/ piezo's alone
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Oh Lordee Lordee! :shock: I can hardly find the pickups :lol: What a fantastic looking PA! Can you brief us on the extended control layout? Thanks for sharing the goods! If I can't own them all, at least I can look at them, and have sweet dreams...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Wow!!! Fantastic looking bass. I'm way too happy (busy as well) with my Dingwalls to go out and dive into the MIDI world. As far as the piezo stuff, the only piezo that I liked was on one of my Sei basses, that had a dedicated 2-band piezo EQ so I could emulate the upright thud (I highly dislike the wiry sound that most piezo bridges offer). Still, maybe after some time, I could ask Sheldon to inform me over the piezo approach he thinks suitable for a Dingwall (esp on a Dingwall ABG)
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That's a crazy looking top!
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm crazy bout my Z2 too. It gets a sound Abraham Laboriel gets with the neck P/U that is very warm and "P-Bass like" but not flabby cause it's closer to the bridge. And then the Piezo Pickups are a whole 'nother dimension. I also got MIDI for this but have not messed much with that yet. But now I like your sunburst! This is much better than the Dupont Registry...
13 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hey, any photos of the last two from this batch, the no-top Z2 with fatties and the lone Z3? Can never get nuff of those glamour Zs... :D
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!