Friday, 06 July 2007
  0 Replies
  5.9K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi fellow Ding-aholics. I have been stating lately that I am out of GAS for the near future, and I always said that this is for some good reason. I am sure you understand that I am a fan of Sheldon's Works of Art. So we have a question to answer: What can possibly be better than a Dingwall??? this one???
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the tip lomo. I will put them on the new AB I when that arrives next month. With this Super PJ and the Flat Chromes it's the first time that I'm happy while the sound is not zingy bright (in the past it was just a necessity to reproduce non-bright sounds in certain covers). Thanks for the info fellow Ding-aholics
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":3nkrm2jq] With this Super PJ and the Flat Chromes it's the first time that I'm happy while the sound is not zingy bright (in the past it was just a necessity to reproduce non-bright sounds in certain covers). [/quote:3nkrm2jq] My theory (free, and worth all it costs) is that the inherently aggressive pickups (at least the FD-3s, I haven't heard the others) and the slightly sharpened top end of the Chromes (as compared to most flats) give an extra dimension to the usual dull sound of flats. The sound isn't that of a 1966 tweeterless cab; it's still hifi and precise. If I can get that sound out of my SJ5 with the Chromes, and if the B is pleasing, I may opt for 2 SJ5s (flat and round), forget the Z and sell my AB1 Elite.....now if I can just lay hands on an SJ5...........so close and so far......
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Two SJ5's! You're killing me! You could always keep one on permanent loan at my house. :lol:
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="lomo":1cftp2bd]If I can get that sound out of my SJ5 with the Chromes, and if the B is pleasing, I may opt for 2 SJ5s (flat and round), forget the Z and sell my AB1 Elite.....now if I can just lay hands on an SJ5...........so close and so far......[/quote:1cftp2bd] Will they both be orange? :D
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="John H.":2j2w05ii] Will they both be orange? :D[/quote:2j2w05ii] Naw, my obsession has its' limits. IF I end up going that route, the orange/maple'll be strung with rounds and the 2nd would be a P or P/J with rosewood board strung with flats-probably black/tort, but I'm off into conjecture land.....too much idle time to think.....that's the worst affliction of bass anticipation..........
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Who is the manufacturer of the chrome flats? I would be interested in obtaining a set.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
D'Addario
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="dsincjr":1wcevcic]Who is the manufacturer of the chrome flats? I would be interested in obtaining a set.[/quote:1wcevcic] Just remember if they're for a 37" dinger, you'll need the "super long scale" set.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks. I'm going to try a set on my new Prima Artist.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That IS breathetaking!!!
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":23gt48ic]That IS breathetaking!!![/quote:23gt48ic] Another work of art brought to us by Sheldon and Co.! On the subject of strings, I have a set of D'Add nickel rounds that I need to try on my ABII. Just can't bring myself to take off the current stock strings. I really love the growl the steel rounds bring to the table, but I wouldn't mind taming the string noise and zing just a bit. I don't know if I would like the Chrome flats. That may be just a bit too far in that tone direction for me.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="BuffaloBob":5p7117pf]I don't know if I would like the Chrome flats. That may be just a bit too far in that tone direction for me.[/quote:5p7117pf] I thought the same thing, but was pleasantly surprised at how bright sounding they are. Mark
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":q7dtasls][quote="BuffaloBob":q7dtasls]I don't know if I would like the Chrome flats. That may be just a bit too far in that tone direction for me.[/quote:q7dtasls] I thought the same thing, but was pleasantly surprised at how bright sounding they are. Mark[/quote:q7dtasls] Hey Mark, Have you tried the nickels? I would be interested in a comparison of the feel and tone between the two.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I havent tried the nickles based on my dislike of nickle roundwounds (too dark sounding). I guess I'm a stainless addict! Mark
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":36a3nw5s]I guess I'm a stainless addict! Mark[/quote:36a3nw5s] Now you start exposing me to the public, Mark. I am a confessed Eponymous Ding-aholic and now I have to admit openly that I am a stainless addict too (with the rare exemption of Chrome Flats on my Super PJ). I guess I should blame it all, on a guy named Sheldon that has spoiled me for life with his functional pieces of Art that provide clarity as well as the fullest sound possible 8) 8) 8)
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="dsincjr":21ylenpg]Thanks. I'm going to try a set on my new Prima Artist.[/quote:21ylenpg] :shock: That's a beautiful bass. Mark
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Tonight I took my Ruby Red Z2 and my Super PJ to the rehearsal. First of all, the Ruby Red has a very beautiful maple top that it's very hard to capture it in a picture. The neck is a touch slimer compared to the other Z2 I have but the sound is ever so balanced!!! The Super PJ is loaded with Chrome flats and the thickness projects along with some shine from the notes (in lack of better words). Great fingerstyle bass (the thumping is great and some 70's covers were at home with this bass. Another night full of compliments for the sound of my basses.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hey, Fullie, which Z2 is the older one? I know the neck on my '99 Voodoo is crazy thin. Why would the necks be different? Sheldon, can you explain? Mark
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
IIRC from I've spoken with Sheldon, the necks are hand made so a variation is expected. All my Dingwall necks share the same profile and they are very very comfortable
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Last night I was watching, with friends, the dvd from the last show I've played. Amongst the people there were some well known and experienced singers, players and composers. Once the viewing was over I asked my friends what they thought of the performance. People commented that the bass and the drums were functioning as one big solid unit and that the rest of the band surrounded and supported the groove 8) One singer and bandleader asked me about the bass. He said that the bass sound was surreal and that he was looking for this kind of solid sonic muscle in the bass for all of his music life. He was dissatisfied with the bass sounds provided by many players and he thought of resorting to synth bass sounds. "Does a bass with a sound like this really exist?" he asked me. "Yes and [b:s0xvycx1]I[/b:s0xvycx1] have it :lol: . In fact I have couple of them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:". So over the next weekend I'll lay bass tracks for his upcoming album (he aims to release the cd for Xmas). The usual suspects for this project will be the "Uber Alles", the "Brazi", the Villex-loaded Voodoo and the Avatar Z1. Thank you Sheldon for spoiling me with great masterpieces of Functional Art
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!