Friday, 06 July 2007
  0 Replies
  6.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi fellow Ding-aholics. I have been stating lately that I am out of GAS for the near future, and I always said that this is for some good reason. I am sure you understand that I am a fan of Sheldon's Works of Art. So we have a question to answer: What can possibly be better than a Dingwall??? this one???
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I totally agree with you Erwin. Because of Fullrangebass, I need to wait 2+ years for my Prima Artist!!! :P Next Dingwall family pic will be around X-mas. The new AB I will be in my hands by mid-November. But then again, January is my birthday. Should I wait till then, to have the picture taken? :wink:
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
DANGIT FULLRANGE!!! I wanted that one! Too bad I have no money :cry:
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am not usually a fan of those old seafoam green, pinks, candy apple reds and pastel blues, but that SJ looks really great.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That blue is a beautiful colour. With a maple board and white guard it's my 2nd choice ofter orange.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hey, Fulrange. I have something intresting for you: My birthday is also in januari. The 20th to be precise. So, if i'll give you my old and dead strings and some candy and you give me one of your Dingwalls okay? No big deal i think ^^ Love it to see so many Dingwalls together! Maybe we should make a picture from all the Dingwalls who are registered to this forum^^
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Erwin my birthday is on the 16th, so I hope that some nice person will supply me with a Prima Artist!!! PS Tomorrow I am opening the Mamma Africa Art Festival.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
This talk of gifting Dingwalls reminds me of an episode of Home Improvement. Al was really into this girl, and she just gave him a vintage car (can't remember what model). If only there was a female version of fullrange.... :lol:
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Now that the festival is over and done, I will hit the studio next weekend to record my bass parts for the upcoming cd with the new band (more details a bit later). As always, I can't stand still. So I found a way to improve over something that I did not use.... :idea: My Zebra (please look in the first pages of this thread) had FD3's with 4-position rotary switch, but the preamp was a concentric 2-band Bart. The Bass boost was boomy and the treble boost was not really that effective. The bass cut was removing too much meat from the sound while the treble cut was still ineffective (the highs are centered very high on the pre-amp). I was not using thepreamp and I was worried about the battery too (no passive option). So what did I do? :idea: I replaced the Bart with a Villex Passive Rotary Tone Booster :!: :!: :!: No holes to drill, no irriversible mods. And it still looks the same (apart from a single pot instead of a concentric) The bass still sounds the same in position 0 (bypass), full and transparent. In position 1, the bass starts thickening up in the mids and low mids, while loosing a bit of the highs . the effect gets more pronounced in positions 2 and 3 (very useful to get to very thick sounds without sounding artificial or worrying about batteries. The Zebra never sounds plastic, muddy, arificial or indistinct in any setting!!! I will provide soundclips over next weekend
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Tonight is the night for the Super PJ to appear in a band setting. I will bring my Zebra along too. I'll keep you posted (and maybe have some pics taken too
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":2c1erg45]Tonight is the night for the Super PJ to appear in a band setting. I will bring my Zebra along too. I'll keep you posted (and maybe have some pics taken too[/quote:2c1erg45] Have fun with it. The neck is amazing on the SJ. Zero fatigue, IME. Did you put the flats on? Mark
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I could not find them locally :shock: so I ordered 3 sets from ebay. Why 3 sets? cause the words of wisdom of fellow Ding-aholics more knowledgable than myself, carry some weight. Hopefully they will arrive by the end of next week. Tonight's a jam night so I will have the chance to cover many styles. On the fatigue issue I have to wholeheartedly agree with Guitarded: My still suffering ring finger feels very easy on the Super PJ. The Super PJ is the one residing by my bed for night-time excursions to inspiration-land. Now I understand why people were insisting on a Super 5
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":3sz7yeeg] The Super PJ is the one residing by my bed for night-time excursions to inspiration-land. Now I understand why people were insisting on a Super 5[/quote:3sz7yeeg] I'll lay 10:1 that the curator of the Royal Hellenic Dingwall Museum/Brothel adds a SJ5 to the permanent collection........soon. However, I doubt any informed forum regulars would take the bet :wink:
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am not doubting that I will get a Super 5 in the very near future. I am sure I will get one at some point. My birthday is Jan 16th; any fund-raising festival to get Fullrangebass any descent bass (Dingwall namely) that he has not in his collection yet??? :P :P :P
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="fullrangebass":3b7pcckr] My birthday is Jan 16th; any fund-raising festival to get Fullrangebass any descent bass (Dingwall namely) that he has not in his collection yet??? :P :P :P[/quote:3b7pcckr] We love ya, Full. But it doesn't sound as though you need anyone to hold a tag sale on your behalf :lol:
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Over the weekend I started recording (in the studio) my bass parts for the upcoming cd of our band. The only recording link between my Dingwalls and the console is the Avalon U5 (flat), so I had the chance to put the sound of each bass under the microscope (in a band recording that some one else is the leader, yet he allows for freedom of all fellow band members) First 3 basses that got into the first 3 tracks (so far) are The "Brazil": Very warm, yet present. Very easy on the hand, but the ramp does not allow digging in (the song that I used it for needed some digging in). The ramp forced me to play either by the bridge (on fast passages that needed to sound very tight and defined) or next to the neck (for blossoming notes, going from big to huge). Very happy with the end result. I did not use the preamp at all (passive all the way) The OMT: Sheldon, I'm humbled. Very piano-like, with the flexibility of going from sweet and clean to aggressive and growly (just the pickups passively, NOT using the preamp). No active here too. The most versatile Dingwall EVER:!: :!: :!: Villex-loaded Voodoo: Very warm, full and organic. Not snappy (as the other two can be) yet very balanced. I did not need to touch the mid-control the tone or the PRTB; just the two volumes and the result was perfect More basses hitting this project in the next few days.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Neat to hear your impressions, Full. I'm particularly struck by your sticking with mainly passive so far on this project......sounds like my taste in tone.
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have to be honest: when I started playing the bass, it was a Hamer Chapparal 5 (US) with two EMGs DC40. The bass was mahogany/rosewood set neck to mahogany body. The EMGs set the quest for clarity for me. So, up until Sheldon came up with the FD1's, I was a firm believer in the actives for the bass (esp for the 5str). Once Sheldon provided the FD1's (and the rest of pickups later on) I became a convert to passive pickups for the bass (not to all passives; only to very few and selected). IMHO you need a nice "harmonic content" in the string (coming from "proper" length and string gauge, taking the core/wrap ratio into account too) and proper construction, as well as great pickups. I am most happy with Dingwall pickups, as you can see. The Villex ones have a totally different sound, and with the two worlds united under one big Dingwall herd, oops family I meant, I am covering all bases with these basses!!!! Next few days I'll take other Dingwalls with me to be just as analytical and critical in the studio
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Flat Chromes have just arrived!!! I will put them on the Super PJ tonight and let you know before the weekend my opinion of them on my Super PJ. Hopefully I will use the Super PJ in the studio this week
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Mark, and fellow Ding-aholics) you were absolutely right about the flats on the Super PJ. I replaced the batteries too. The bass sounds fuller and thumpier. The glissandos are sweet as honey. An extra vote for a Flat set for Primas Zebras and ABs
14 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Those Chromes ARE killer on the 37" Dingers as well (the "Super Long Scale" set).
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!