Monday, 12 January 2009
  0 Replies
  5.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
At long last, here are the first 6 Combustions. These will be at NAMM next week.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Beepo":3u6tyt16][quote="guitarded":3u6tyt16]Black hardware on the way.[/quote:3u6tyt16] That's the spirit! This is gonna be a looker :) How does the Combustion compare to your Z3, Mark? I'm especially thinking in terms of build quality, fit, finish etc. Can you really see and feel the 3K(approx) price difference, or is the Combustion "closer" than that?[/quote:3u6tyt16] Well, the tuners have a bunch of lag, and you can tell they're budget pieces by the finish - thin chrome over a rough base. They will be replaced with black Hipshot Ultralite Y's. $112 for 5 off ebay. The bridges are OK, ABM knockoffs. They will be replaced with black ones. I've used these copy bridges before without issue. They seem to be well-built and well-finished. $21 for the set off ebay. As I predicted, the hardware change will cost $150, including black screws and strap buttons. The string retainer will be lost eventually, so I didn't price a replacement. The chrome is gone! The paint appears to be top-notch. Colors like this are a bitch to spray evenly. You have to not lay it on too heavy so you don't lose the influence of the silver undercoat. That's the way candy finishes are typically applied, anyway. Not sure about the method used here, though. It looks like the factory did a first-rate job. The 5 piece neck seems to be profiled much like an AB, a bit chunkier than a Z bass, but still very comfortable. The thin poly finish on back feels like a wax finish - smooth, matte, and quick. My only disappointment here is with the rough fret edges and iffy fret finishing. It appears one fret was sitting very high and had to be filed down quite a bit under the G. I'll have the frets smoothed at some point. I can't get the action down where I want it, so Sheldon is sending a shim. I'm still taking it to the gig tonight, though. :) The controls move very smoothly with no noise. It's not really fair to compare the C bass with a Z. Z's are so amazingly fitted and finished, and they have that thin neck profile that is so comfortable. They just [i:3u6tyt16]feel[/i:3u6tyt16] expensive when you hold them. The C bass doesn't really have that feel, just like an AB doesn't have that feel when compared to a Z. I'm sure that knowing the price of each bass beforehand colors my impressions. Also, my first Dingwall was a Z, so I started at the top and worked backward down the price list. I'm sure that influences my opinion. It's more reasonable, then, to compare the C bass to the ABI line. When you think about it like that, then the C bass really begins to shine price and feature-wise. Mine will cost close to used AB money when you add in the $150 black hardware upgrade, the $100 (!) shipping charge, and the $120 bag. That said, it aint about the money. It's about more Dingwalls, baby! Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I gigged with the C bass tonight. I'm loving the bridge pickup. Very fat. I got just enough break over the nut by winding the new strings to the bottom of the post, so I ditched the string retainer. The color was commented on by several people. It looks awesome under the lights. Cool bass. Sorry, I forgot about action shots :( Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Just came back from church. Got comments from everywhere on the colour too. I thought I'd miss the 3 band eq, but the 2 band is easier to manipulate. When switching songs, a couple dial turns and I have a completely different tone. :D This bass is fantastic. Sits a lot better in the mix than I'm used to - I don't have to fight with it to make it sound good! Thank you Mark for the colour suggestion, and Sheldon for designing this bass! I love it. :twisted:
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
which church do you play at?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="TheGrandEnigma":2366aawx] Thank you Mark for the colour suggestion, and Sheldon for designing this bass! I love it. :twisted:[/quote:2366aawx] You're welcome, Matt, but the real thanks goes to Sheldon for saying yes to CAG. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":253nnrhm][quote="TheGrandEnigma":253nnrhm] Thank you Mark for the colour suggestion, and Sheldon for designing this bass! I love it. :twisted:[/quote:253nnrhm] You're welcome, Matt, but the real thanks goes to Sheldon for saying yes to CAG. Mark[/quote:253nnrhm] Lol, well whoever it goes to, I'm very happy with my bass. I just got another compliment on it since my last post! :P [quote="Cheamo":253nnrhm]which church do you play at?[/quote:253nnrhm] Martensville Alliance
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
1st retail glimpse at bassnw.com today......
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Three Combustions at BASSNW. The black combustion w/ pickguard & maple fretboard is "rockin", and seems to higher a higher retail tag. Interesting... There's a Candy apple green 'bustion there...for all you who didn't order one
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Tease. Mark
Attachments (2)
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
C'mon, where's the rest?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="TheGrandEnigma":xx26xasa]C'mon, where's the rest?[/quote:xx26xasa] Patience, Grasshopper, patience. All details regarding the Pimp Combustion will be revealed in due time :P (translation: I'm still waiting on parts :wink: ). Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="FrankM":379i1m53]Three Combustions at BASSNW. [/quote:379i1m53] That baltic amber pickguard on the three tone sunburst Combustion just ruins it! :? Gotta get a real tortoise shell, black or white pearloid on there. :wink:
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Smallmouth_Bass":11zkwrwk][quote="FrankM":11zkwrwk]Three Combustions at BASSNW. [/quote:11zkwrwk] That baltic amber pickguard on the three tone sunburst Combustion just ruins it! :? Gotta get a real tortoise shell, black or white pearloid on there. :wink:[/quote:11zkwrwk] I'm totally with you on that.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="lomo":1frjhkom][quote="Smallmouth_Bass":1frjhkom][quote="FrankM":1frjhkom]Three Combustions at BASSNW. [/quote:1frjhkom] That baltic amber pickguard on the three tone sunburst Combustion just ruins it! :? Gotta get a real tortoise shell, black or white pearloid on there. :wink:[/quote:1frjhkom] I'm totally with you on that.[/quote:1frjhkom] I don't think the bass is ruined by the BA pickguard, that may be a bit strong. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it will likely be just the thing somebody is looking for. Had it looked awful, I think Sheldon and crew would have nixed the idea of this color guard with 3TB. It works, IMO, just not to everybody's taste. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
In looking at the various photos on the DW site I was amazed that the Baltic Amber seemed to go with just about everything. But I'm with SmB and Lomo on this one. IMO, it really doesn't work at all.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Add me to the list of unbelievers. I am with Mark though, someone will love it.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Just curious to why there is no tortoise shell pickguard option for the Combustion. Tort works well with just about everything.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The nice thing about the Combustion pickguards is that they are easy to swap if you don't like or just get tired of the installed color.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":1gcn8cy0]The nice thing about the Combustion pickguards is that they are easy to swap if you don't like or just get tired of the installed color.[/quote:1gcn8cy0] +1, I'm looking into getting a CAG/maple with a few different guards (Black, BA)
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Pimp. Mark
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!