Monday, 12 January 2009
  0 Replies
  5.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
At long last, here are the first 6 Combustions. These will be at NAMM next week.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":2crj0lq7][img:2crj0lq7]http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/files/p1010412_101.jpg[/img:2crj0lq7] Mark[/quote:2crj0lq7] That input jack is so cool! Kinda retro looking.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Brim":2rhi3e1b]That input jack is so cool! Kinda retro looking.[/quote:2rhi3e1b] Sorry...I don't get that. My first thought after seeing that was "How much would a retrofit with one of those locking jacks cost?" YMMV
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sheldon, what if the Chinese factory cut the neck pocket lower into the body 1 spacer deeper?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Bocete":3t24uuz2][quote="guitarded":3t24uuz2]I checked into retrofitting black hardware to the Combustion. Looks like about $150 will do it. Mark[/quote:3t24uuz2] Easily worth it imo.[/quote:3t24uuz2] +1. The Neutrik jack is one of the most sensible features of Dingers IMO. I'm surprised no other manufacturers have caught on to this. Loose and noisy jacks are an annoying problem as common as dirt.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="lomo":140oum88]+1. The Neutrik jack is one of the most sensible features of Dingers IMO. I'm surprised no other manufacturers have caught on to this. Loose and noisy jacks are an annoying problem as common as dirt.[/quote:140oum88] There's one on my dusty old Ibanez BTB400. It has loostened and developed a somewhat faulty connection, though...if you bump the jack.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="davio":3aj22z8n][quote="lomo":3aj22z8n]+1. The Neutrik jack is one of the most sensible features of Dingers IMO. I'm surprised no other manufacturers have caught on to this. Loose and noisy jacks are an annoying problem as common as dirt.[/quote:3aj22z8n] There's one on my dusty old Ibanez BTB400. It has loostened and developed a somewhat faulty connection, though...if you bump the jack.[/quote:3aj22z8n] Conklinguitars uses them....
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Erwin":3bhbifdf][quote="davio":3bhbifdf][quote="lomo":3bhbifdf]+1. The Neutrik jack is one of the most sensible features of Dingers IMO. I'm surprised no other manufacturers have caught on to this. Loose and noisy jacks are an annoying problem as common as dirt.[/quote:3bhbifdf] There's one on my dusty old Ibanez BTB400. It has loostened and developed a somewhat faulty connection, though...if you bump the jack.[/quote:3bhbifdf] Conklinguitars uses them....[/quote:3bhbifdf] Cool. Thanks for learnin' me.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The Combustion jack is one that's a very popular retrofit for many Tele players...I remember when everyone was jumping ship from the fender style cup jack to that one. It stays in place, guides the cord to the actual output and is reputed to be solid and problem free. Give it a chance...as far as I know, most people haven't even gotten their Combustions into regular use yet.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I've only casually played my bass three or four times, but I like the jack already. It seems to work well compared to what I've used before.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":3k1ngxg3]Sheldon, what if the Chinese factory cut the neck pocket lower into the body 1 spacer deeper?[/quote:3k1ngxg3] That would screw up the G-string adjustment.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Got it today! Rehearsed tonight with it. The bass sounds amazing, very full in the fundamental with good mid response. Solo the bridge pickup, crank the bass boost and it's crazy. I don't recall ever hearing a soloed bridge pickup that sounds like it's at the neck bass-wise, but still with tons of bark and spank. 8.5 lb. The fit and finish are very nice, but there are some rough fret edges that I can smooth out, hopefully. I noticed a fret up high on the G where it had to be filed down quite a bit before it shipped. Looks like a fret dressing may be in order. I love the input jack. You don't have to search for the hole, it guides you right in. Wonder if it comes in black? :wink: Mine has the B, E, and A bridges shimmed. I can't get the G low enough to suit myself, so I'll be filing and grinding the saddle to lower it. I'm curious as to whether an AB bridge will fit, and work, on these? Sheldon, any thoughts? I think the string retainer can be ditched, maybe. When I re-string I'll wind the string all the way to the bottom of the post. Looks like that will give enough break angle across the nut. The pickup rout is a tad big for the shell, but it's not that noticeable, just when you get really close. I'm planning on replacing the hardware with black at some point. May even get the headstock matched. I took some detail shots that I'll post eventually. I have no doubt that refinements will be made to the Combustion as it rolls along, but it looks like the initial goal was realized. Good work, Sheldon. Thanks again for the special color. Pictures do not do it justice. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":2mnxuqek] The fit and finish are very nice, but there are some rough fret edges that I can smooth out, hopefully. I noticed a fret up high on the G where it had to be filed down quite a bit before it shipped. Looks like a fret dressing may be in order. Mine has the B, E, and A bridges shimmed. I can't get the G low enough to suit myself, so I'll be filing and grinding the saddle to lower it. I'm curious as to whether an AB bridge will fit, and work, on these? Sheldon, any thoughts? Mark[/quote:2mnxuqek] Hey Mark, Thanks for the review. Nice to hear you've received your bass and are happy with it - especially the tone. I checked all the frets for buzzing and they were clean. I'll make a point of looking for excessively filed frets in the future though. Intead of grinding your saddle, let me send you a neck shim. Also, you could try tightening the truss-rod a smidge.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":kko5237g][quote="guitarded":kko5237g] The fit and finish are very nice, but there are some rough fret edges that I can smooth out, hopefully. I noticed a fret up high on the G where it had to be filed down quite a bit before it shipped. Looks like a fret dressing may be in order. Mine has the B, E, and A bridges shimmed. I can't get the G low enough to suit myself, so I'll be filing and grinding the saddle to lower it. I'm curious as to whether an AB bridge will fit, and work, on these? Sheldon, any thoughts? Mark[/quote:kko5237g] Hey Mark, Thanks for the review. Nice to hear you've received your bass and are happy with it - especially the tone. I checked all the frets for buzzing and they were clean. I'll make a point of looking for excessively filed frets in the future though. Intead of grinding your saddle, let me send you a neck shim. Also, you could try tightening the truss-rod a smidge.[/quote:kko5237g] There is no buzzing, just one fret that was filed flat and not crowned much. I tightened the rod till the neck was nearly flat, but no go for the G action. Funny, I was going to ask you about a shim. Thanks, Sheldon. Please send it to the Meadow Creek address. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That pickup review only made the C2 mod sound even better :D
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Bocete":3lly5alh]That pickup review only made the C2 mod sound even better :D[/quote:3lly5alh] Ditto on that. Please, Sheldon! I'll be waiting for a production one unless you say it isn't happening.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="davio":39kfb2bf][quote="Brim":39kfb2bf]That input jack is so cool! Kinda retro looking.[/quote:39kfb2bf] Sorry...I don't get that. My first thought after seeing that was "How much would a retrofit with one of those locking jacks cost?" YMMV[/quote:39kfb2bf] I like the look of it, is what I meant. Not sure of the functionality compared to the locking jack. [quote="lomo":39kfb2bf]The Neutrik jack is one of the most sensible features of Dingers IMO. I'm surprised no other manufacturers have caught on to this. Loose and noisy jacks are an annoying problem as common as dirt.[/quote:39kfb2bf] In my case, I always bring my cable through my leather strap. With all the friction the leather creates on the rubber cable, it never moves. Not even if I step on the cable at the ground. So in my case, I could live without the locking jack, but it is a very good feature.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Pix. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
And more... Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Black hardware on the way. Pix to come. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":1jmv45ii]Black hardware on the way.[/quote:1jmv45ii] That's the spirit! This is gonna be a looker :) How does the Combustion compare to your Z3, Mark? I'm especially thinking in terms of build quality, fit, finish etc. Can you really see and feel the 3K(approx) price difference, or is the Combustion "closer" than that?
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!