Monday, 12 January 2009
  0 Replies
  5.4K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
At long last, here are the first 6 Combustions. These will be at NAMM next week.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="FrankM":3b1cbhvd]Bocete- very cool idea- reminds me of a story. Many moons ago -when Sheldon released the Afterburner basses- a few of us adventurous folks asked for special things (like custom tone woods, custom tops, BEAD setups, different p'up configuration, etc) and sheldon was kinda accommodating for a very short while (made a totally cool BEAD bass for Basscentral)- til i guess he figured out that he didnt want to make a "less expensive" versions of Z1 or Z2 using the ABI as the backdrop. I even asked him for a Z2 configured Ash bodied ABI back in the day(02), and besides his comments about Z2 p'up configurations are not doable on ABI as the neck pockets are too different, he thought about possibilities, and I guess came to final conclusion for this venture to work- it had to be cost effective, and anything that deviated away from the standard production- was not cost effective. So I really dig your mockup- but unless Sheldon gets boinked on the head my guess will be you can get black hardware -maybe[/quote:3b1cbhvd] Nice to know some more DW history :) I didn't hope Sheldon would make this. It shouldn't be too hard to modify a standard Combustion yourself: all you need is black hardware (can be bought), an additional Mach-II pickup (can be bought, most probably), and a pickguard without the neck pickup hole (which could be custom made; the manifacturer of Combustion pickguards takes custom orders). You'd just need to route the body to fit the new Mach-II pickup and cover the old hole with the pickguard. Everything together, one could expect to spend ~$1500 on the bass and those parts. Still makes a pretty good bang for the buck IMO. It's a lot less than a new Z2 but should compare to it sound-wise.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
He could do it easily on the Combustion, but not the AB.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Bocete":3nz2xiqv] Everything together, one could expect to spend ~$1500 on the bass and those parts. Still makes a pretty good bang for the buck IMO. It's a lot less than a new Z2 but should compare to it sound-wise.[/quote:3nz2xiqv] I don't know where your getting the p/g or p/u's your putting on that bass, but my combustion comes to almost that without any pg. I imagine the Mach II's or 4L's will be a couple hundred anyway for the set. Probably looking closer to $2k all told. (Unless I'm getting ripped off :shock: ) Pretty cool idea though. I'd try it.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
It was an estimate, and a bad one. A new Combustion costs $1200 USD. The new hardware alone would be ~$250 USD. A pickguard would be made by Chandler Guitars should cost less than $50. Plus the pickup.. Having the original bass made with two mach-IIs is hardly possible. I suppose one FD-3A pickup would cost about $200. That adds to $1700 USD. If the black hardware were a stock option for the bass (with a $50 or $100 upcharge) it would be ~$1550 or less.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sheldon, have you taken any pics of the Combustions with pickguards placed on them? I'm strongly leaning towards Blonde with Baltic Amber, so that's the combo I'm most interested in seeing. [size=59:22bohddc]Couple of mockups I threw together:[/size:22bohddc] [img:22bohddc]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9316/balticm.jpg[/img:22bohddc] [img:22bohddc]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5072/combustion0926.jpg[/img:22bohddc]
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I think I said this before but I really like the shape of the Combustion's body shape and the end of the neck. It's has a "classic" look to it while still being original and "Dingwall".
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Is it me or I can hardly see the difference between blonde and gloss-white. The blonde is a bit transparent, but I feel it's too subtle for anyone in the crowd to see the difference on stage, for example. Maybe it's my monitor? Or is it just right?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":1qfsnvjz]I'm having a meeting today on how to fast track a 4-string version.[/quote:1qfsnvjz] Any news on the 4, Sheldon? I'm ready! Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Bocete":34h8dop3]Is it me or I can hardly see the difference between blonde and gloss-white. The blonde is a bit transparent, but I feel it's too subtle for anyone in the crowd to see the difference on stage, for example. Maybe it's my monitor? Or is it just right?[/quote:34h8dop3] You're right, you're not likely going to see the wood grain from the audience. It's a nice effect though to be able to see it (kind of) through the white close up though.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":3t402ziz][quote="Sheldon Dingwall":3t402ziz]I'm having a meeting today on how to fast track a 4-string version.[/quote:3t402ziz] Any news on the 4, Sheldon? I'm ready! Mark[/quote:3t402ziz] The four will be in the run after next. I don't want to rush the prototype process. I'll have a sample ready before Christmas though.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":ruqvicuh][quote="guitarded":ruqvicuh][quote="Sheldon Dingwall":ruqvicuh]I'm having a meeting today on how to fast track a 4-string version.[/quote:ruqvicuh] Any news on the 4, Sheldon? I'm ready! Mark[/quote:ruqvicuh] The four will be in the run after next. I don't want to rush the prototype process. I'll have a sample ready before Christmas though.[/quote:ruqvicuh] Thanks for the update, Sheldon! :D Go ahead and put me on the list for a flat black, maple-necked 4. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":6uofvw62][quote="guitarded":6uofvw62][quote="Sheldon Dingwall":6uofvw62]I'm having a meeting today on how to fast track a 4-string version.[/quote:6uofvw62] Any news on the 4, Sheldon? I'm ready! Mark[/quote:6uofvw62] The four will be in the run after next. I don't want to rush the prototype process. I'll have a sample ready before Christmas though.[/quote:6uofvw62] Sheldon, Will you have the prototype at NAMM for a check out?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="hmagman":2awddveu][quote="Sheldon Dingwall":2awddveu][quote="guitarded":2awddveu][quote="Sheldon Dingwall":2awddveu]I'm having a meeting today on how to fast track a 4-string version.[/quote:2awddveu] Any news on the 4, Sheldon? I'm ready! Mark[/quote:2awddveu] The four will be in the run after next. I don't want to rush the prototype process. I'll have a sample ready before Christmas though.[/quote:2awddveu] Sheldon, Will you have the prototype at NAMM for a check out?[/quote:2awddveu] We won't be doing NAMM this year. The goal is the Frankfurt show instead.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Jjango":31x99a5o]Sheldon, have you taken any pics of the Combustions with pickguards placed on them? I'm strongly leaning towards Blonde with Baltic Amber, so that's the combo I'm most interested in seeing. [/quote:31x99a5o] I hope to have some photos ready today or tomorrow.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Awesome, thanks Sheldon!
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
4 string combustion in that killer green. Now I'm really interested! Anybody out there that can photo shop one together for me? Whilst I sell off some more stuff and get ready for Xmas?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The (green) eagle has nearly landed! Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Is there a set date? When are they here?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="TheGrandEnigma":3mb813xi]Is there a set date? When are they here?[/quote:3mb813xi] There is not a formal date that I know of. Let's just say that they are much closer in proximity than they were last week. :wink: Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Awesome news..... my CAG combustion invoice said "October"-- so thats close enough for me- all things considered
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!