Monday, 12 January 2009
  0 Replies
  4.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
At long last, here are the first 6 Combustions. These will be at NAMM next week.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":2xxc3m4w]In layman's terms it just sounds better for longer @ 18 volts. Headroom can be described as all your clean volume before clipping/distortion. If you make more severe EQ boosts the 18volt is clean/clear sound distortion free even when the battery sags. When a 9 volt system sags you get distortion at lower volts. When an 18 volt system sags you're looking at 13-16 volts. The 18volt drained is still way above a new 9 volt.[/quote:2xxc3m4w] But it can also be argued that if you're continuously boosting or cutting a significant amount with your onboard controls it would make more sense to adjust your amp EQ and just set your onboards back to center. You can also avoid battery problems with due diligence (testing and changing them regularly). Personally, the 9V vs. 18V thing doesn't make any difference but I know for some it can be a deal breaker.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Ah, thanks for the explanations, guys!
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sheldon, any estimate as to when we'll see pics of the production Combustions? September's getting mighty close! :D
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Is Sheldon out of town? China, maybe? Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":upyq96mh]Is Sheldon out of town? China, maybe? Mark[/quote:upyq96mh] I don't know but I emailed him about something a couple days ago and haven't heard back from him yet. He's usually very prompt about replying to emails...
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I believe he's still on vacation. Check the news link at the top of the board.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="BurningSkies":2klptpc2]I believe he's still on vacation. Check the news link at the top of the board.[/quote:2klptpc2] That was my first thought but it says he'd be out until the 13th.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hes taking a vacation to recover from his vacation, give the man some time off--- as for when production combustions will be rolling thru-- in a recent exchange of emails- i believe it mentioned sept/Oct09 in Dingwall terms-- soon-ish
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
To let the cat out of the bag, Sheldon told me the shop expects the first batch to reach them by mid-September, and to expect delivery mid-October. But, as Frank implied, it could be later. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Jjango":13i80vh5]Sheldon, any estimate as to when we'll see pics of the production Combustions? September's getting mighty close! :D[/quote:13i80vh5] I'll take some photos when I'm over at the factory. Still working out the timing of the trip. I'm back in the shop now. Please be patient as there is a lot of production sitting here needing attention. If I haven't responded to an email by the end of tomorrow, you may need to re-send it.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Cool, thanks Sheldon! :P
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Here are some shots of the production basses. We are making a decision on one final color - Battleship Grey. I'd be interested in some input.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
That green looks really good! :wink: The grey looks pretty neutral. How about a blue? Something between a royal and navy blue would look nice, especially if it was transparent. By the way, those whites and sunburst look really good!
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Here are a few factory photos. My impressions after two days of tours and meetings is that these people are extrememly capable and care about doing a great job. Everything from the factory grounds and layout to the attitudes of the staff are impressive.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I personally think the Battleship grey is a winner. not over the top like silver, and could be a new "it" colour down the road a bit.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
My favs are the 3TS and the Natural one. Looks like their quality control is really good Sheldon.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I [b:2i775h2a]love[/b:2i775h2a] the burst, the natural and the white. I'm not sure about the gray one because of the picture; maybe seeing the bass in whole and with less light. It looks very glossy this way. Could look extremely good with a plain white or plain black pickguard, though. I also love the rotated upper strap pin. The bridge components seem to get closer as the strings get thinner; is that to keep a constant string-to-string spacing? Also, on some basses, the pickup cavities are a bit too large. Are those basses made like that because they'll get a pickguard installed later on, or it's just inavoidable because of the process? Thanks for posting pictures :D
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Bocete":1fe49947]I [b:1fe49947]love[/b:1fe49947] the burst, the natural and the white. I'm not sure about the gray one because of the picture; maybe seeing the bass in whole and with less light. It looks very glossy this way. Could look extremely good with a plain white or plain black pickguard, though. I also love the rotated upper strap pin. The bridge components seem to get closer as the strings get thinner; is that to keep a constant string-to-string spacing? Also, on some basses, the pickup cavities are a bit too large. Are those basses made like that because they'll get a pickguard installed later on, or it's just inavoidable because of the process? Thanks for posting pictures :D[/quote:1fe49947] They nailed the burst. The bridges are equally spaced. Probably the angle of the photo makes them look progressively spaced. The pickup pocket size is out normal size. The flash makes it look a lot bigger than it is. I allow for paint build up, wood shrinkage and pickup angling. In my repair business I found that some companies didn't allow for this and it make it very hard to adjust the pickups.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The gray is nice. Go for it. I'd like to see it with a pearl black pick guard. They all look amazing. It's clear now that I'll have to get another one of these. :) Man, the green really pops, especially in a group shot. I want that very one for mine, Sheldon! Come to papa! Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Agreed, the green is beautiful! Thanks for the pics Sheldon. Personally, I'm not a fan of the grey, but I can see it catching on with others. [quote="guitarded":17uazl0s]Man, the green really pops, especially in a group shot. I want that very one for mine, Sheldon! Come to papa![/quote:17uazl0s] When I saw it I was gonna call it, but I guess the CAG is your baby, you should get #1. Can't wait to get mine though!
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!