Monday, 12 January 2009
  0 Replies
  4.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
At long last, here are the first 6 Combustions. These will be at NAMM next week.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":26irmrxo]If we sell out of the first run of Green, we'll gauge demand for a second run.[/quote:26irmrxo] Limited. :) Thanks for the info, Sheldon. Green will be the last choice for most people. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Now that the colors are set, some of us are wondering what the MAP will be. Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Here are some in production shots of the pickups. The new shell with the classy schmassy new logo. A rack of pickups curing.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
My D.A.S. is becoming uncontrollable. :shock:
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Which set is mine? :) Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hey Sheldon, Can you list the final specs of the bass? I know earlier in the thread there was mention that the body wood was African mahogany and on the website it mentions an EMG preamp. Has anything changed? Body wood Neck wood (one piece, three piece, five piece?) Fretboard wood Pickups Preamp Control layout Projected weight etc...
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sheldon I think a while back you mentioned that you're wiring the BTS @ 9 volts. I highly recommend 2 batteries run in series @ 18 volts to increase headroom and overall performance.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Smallmouth_Bass":3gmi22x4]Hey Sheldon, Can you list the final specs of the bass? I know earlier in the thread there was mention that the body wood was African mahogany and on the website it mentions an EMG preamp. Has anything changed?[/quote:3gmi22x4] Hey, SMB
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":zzmomyua]Which set is mine? :) Mark[/quote:zzmomyua] The ones on the left :)
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Smallmouth_Bass":2f4l7fr9]Hey Sheldon, Can you list the final specs of the bass? I know earlier in the thread there was mention that the body wood was African mahogany and on the website it mentions an EMG preamp. Has anything changed?[/quote:2f4l7fr9] Body wood - Alder Neck wood (one piece, three piece, five piece?) - 5 pc maple Fretboard wood - Sonokilin Rosewood or Maple Pickups - FD3A (Alnico versions of the FD-3) Preamp - EMG BTSV7 Control layout - VVBT Projected weight - 8.5-9 lbs.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":37brr02x]Sheldon I think a while back you mentioned that you're wiring the BTS @ 9 volts. I highly recommend 2 batteries run in series @ 18 volts to increase headroom and overall performance.[/quote:37brr02x] These will be 9V. However there is room in the cavity to install a second battery if you wish. Otherwise a larger battery box would have to be routed in.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Are the dimensions of these pickups the same as FDs? We are a restless bunch - some people are already planning to mod their Combustions :o :wink: Mark
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":snjn5wei]Are the dimensions of these pickups the same as FDs? We are a restless bunch - some people are already planning to mod their Combustions :o :wink: Mark[/quote:snjn5wei] No, they're an EMG 45 shape, however, we plan on offering up FD-3's in these shells for the hot rodder types.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":11m8iong] Fretboard wood - Sonokilin Rosewood or Maple[/quote:11m8iong] So there's an option? Maple fret boards are available?
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I think I remember someone talking about an asymmetric neck profile for the Combustion way back, was it a success? Given the pickguards are assembled in-shop I guess they're also made in-shop. Are they? And is it possible for you to make a pickguard without the neck pickup hole in it? It would be shipped with the bass, not on the bass for obvious reasons. Thanks, Sheldon.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Bocete":1k4f9sip]I think I remember someone talking about an asymmetric neck profile for the Combustion way back, was it a success? Given the pickguards are assembled in-shop I guess they're also made in-shop. Are they? And is it possible for you to make a pickguard without the neck pickup hole in it? It would be shipped with the bass, not on the bass for obvious reasons. Thanks, Sheldon.[/quote:1k4f9sip] The necks are carved symmetrically. Hand sanding causes some asymmetries, in all necks, but these are subtle compared to a purposely asymmetric carve. We will be sub-contracting the pickguards to Chandler Guitars. I'll have to ask them if that's something they can do.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":3avbgf6i][quote="Bocete":3avbgf6i]I think I remember someone talking about an asymmetric neck profile for the Combustion way back, was it a success? Given the pickguards are assembled in-shop I guess they're also made in-shop. Are they? And is it possible for you to make a pickguard without the neck pickup hole in it? It would be shipped with the bass, not on the bass for obvious reasons. Thanks, Sheldon.[/quote:3avbgf6i] The necks are carved symmetrically. Hand sanding causes some asymmetries, in all necks, but these are subtle compared to a purposely asymmetric carve. We will be sub-contracting the pickguards to Chandler Guitars. I'll have to ask them if that's something they can do.[/quote:3avbgf6i] Thanks. You needn't bother asking about the pickguard, I was just wondering.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Funkshwey":1grmnpcp]Sheldon I think a while back you mentioned that you're wiring the BTS @ 9 volts. I highly recommend 2 batteries run in series @ 18 volts to increase headroom and overall performance.[/quote:1grmnpcp] Please excuse my complete ignorance here (all my basses are passive, and I don't know much about active electronics), but in what way is 18 volts superior to 9 volts? I don't know what "headroom" means in this context. TIA!
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Jjango":1tbqzads][quote="Funkshwey":1tbqzads]Sheldon I think a while back you mentioned that you're wiring the BTS @ 9 volts. I highly recommend 2 batteries run in series @ 18 volts to increase headroom and overall performance.[/quote:1tbqzads] Please excuse my complete ignorance here (all my basses are passive, and I don't know much about active electronics), but in what way is 18 volts superior to 9 volts? I don't know what "headroom" means in this context. TIA![/quote:1tbqzads] In this case, it means you'd be able to make more severe EQ adjustments with the onboard controls. Personally, I only use my onboard controls for slight tweaks if something doesn't sound quite right in the middle of a song so the 18V mod wouldn't help too much in my case.
12 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="davio":3lbgzly6][quote="Jjango":3lbgzly6][quote="Funkshwey":3lbgzly6]Sheldon I think a while back you mentioned that you're wiring the BTS @ 9 volts. I highly recommend 2 batteries run in series @ 18 volts to increase headroom and overall performance.[/quote:3lbgzly6] Please excuse my complete ignorance here (all my basses are passive, and I don't know much about active electronics), but in what way is 18 volts superior to 9 volts? I don't know what "headroom" means in this context. TIA![/quote:3lbgzly6] In this case, it means you'd be able to make more severe EQ adjustments with the onboard controls. Personally, I only use my onboard controls for slight tweaks if something doesn't sound quite right in the middle of a song so the 18V mod wouldn't help too much in my case.[/quote:3lbgzly6] In layman's terms it just sounds better for longer @ 18 volts. Headroom can be described as all your clean volume before clipping/distortion. If you make more severe EQ boosts the 18volt is clean/clear sound distortion free even when the battery sags. When a 9 volt system sags you get distortion at lower volts. When an 18 volt system sags you're looking at 13-16 volts. The 18volt drained is still way above a new 9 volt.
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!