Sunday, 17 October 2010
  0 Replies
  6 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi Sheldon, I searched the forums and apologize in advance if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything relevant My volume pot on my 2009 Z3 is cutting out. I noticed at church this morning the volume cutting out, and moving the volume up and down produced a scratchy noise. The volume would cut in and out especially at full volume. This is only in passive mode, when I pushed the pot down to engage the active mode, it works smoothly. This bass is used at least ten hours a week, so it's not noisy due to seldom use. I can't imagine it's dirty either as I keep it the bass spotless and in the case when not in use. Would you recommend spraying electronics cleaner in the pot, or does this sound like the pot needs replacment? Thanks, Jeff
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Wow, that's the first I've heard about this type of problem. I'll ask our tech Jeff tomorrow and email Glockenklang to see if they have any ideas. There's a circuitboard attached to the pot so we want to make sure it's not something simple before trying to replace it.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yeah, there's a nifty little circuit board attached to it with all kinds of pretty wires coming from it. Not a five minute job like I was thinking it was before I took the cover off tonight. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for the fast response Sheldon! [img:2rqc2wzh]http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s354/rollerberg2000/Dingwall/100_5074.jpg[/img:2rqc2wzh]
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well, my problem is solved! After much back and forth with Sheldon and Jeff via email, shooting some cleaner with lubricant directly into the back of the pot and working it back and forth about twenty times between passive and active mode did the trick. I can't imagine how it got dirty, as I've mentioned before it gets played ten hours a week, and except for the fret wear would pass for a brand new one! The cleaner that was recommended and is used by the Dingwall shop is the following: [b:2gnkr31o]"NU-TROL Control Cleaner" by MG Chemicals[/b:2gnkr31o] After many phone calls and web crawling I couldn't locate that particular cleaner, so I went to Guitar Center and used the following: [b:2gnkr31o]DeoxIT Gold G5 part number G5S-6 from caig.com[/b:2gnkr31o] Hope this helps someone else who encounters the same problem. Many thanks to Sheldon and Jeff for helping me solve the problem! Yet another example of fine customer service and yet another reason I am a Dingwall player for life!
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I'm glad I could find this older thread! I've got a four way selector switch that's getting noisy and even cuts out once in a while in the second click position. Not a big deal at the moment, but I'd sure like to try the easy fix instead to trying to do all the soldering involved in a replacement. Thanks, Jeff!
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I guess it sort of goes with the territory...My selector's fine, but my passive/active switch on my Z acts up occasionally. I run in active most of the time but when I occasionally move to passive, I sometimes get rough and low signal. A few flips back and forth takes care of things usually. A slow week gives me about 10 hours of play time, an active week might be twice that.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I've had reasonably good luck with a product called Stabilant-22. A little goes a long way if it's properly stored (i.e. not allowed to evaporate). If necessary, the undiluted product can be diluted with 190-proof grain alcohol. Just take some precaution to ensure the ethanol can't attack any plastic in the pot/switch, or the finish of the instrument. Here's a link: http://www.stabilant.com/
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I found the Nu-Trol Cleaner here: http://www.daleproaudio.com/showproduct ... cating-oil No tax or shipping charge, they take Paypal. I'll report back on how it works.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="singlemalt":247jmyb4]I found the Nu-Trol Cleaner here: http://www.daleproaudio.com/showproduct ... cating-oil No tax or shipping charge, they take Paypal. I'll report back on how it works.[/quote:247jmyb4] It worked best with me by spraying directly in to the back of the pot. I had rags wrapped securely around the controls with the knobs off to collect any overspray, but it didn't attack the finish. Hope it works for you as well as it did for me my friend!
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I got it fixed today. It looked like a chunk of English muffin got in there. :shock: I blew it out and went ahead and did the cleaner and electronics switch lube. Things are working great now. Clean and quiet.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Ah, yes. The English Muffin issue... :lol: At least it didn't have jelly on it?
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!