Saturday, 09 June 2007
  0 Replies
  1.6K Visits
0
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Snagged a super J off the 'bay, it is here. I've only played it an hour, so I hate to comment to thoroughly. I will say that when I plugged in my Fenders after playing the Super J, they both sounded a little flat/one dimensional. The complexity in the lows are really nice on the Dingwall. A couple newb questions: 1. It appears to have the stock strings on the bass, what brand and gauge are they? Stainless steels? 2. What is the string spacing at the bridge? 3. Mine does not have the magnetic battery cover cover on the back, when was that option offer on this model? 4. Is the closest to the neck position on the 4 way selector the series setting? Thanks, RS
15 years ago
·
#6125
0
Votes
Undo
Nice! Welcome. If the strings are stock they're Dingwalls (I think they're made by GHS) I believe spacing is 19mm. Rotary pup selector from bridge to neck is bridge only, parallel, series, neck only. The gorgeus battery cover became standard after about a year, I believe. I'm sure SJ aficcionados will chime in with corrections as needed; I'm waiting for the SJ5.
15 years ago
·
#6126
0
Votes
Undo
Great bass you've got there. Just needs a tortoise shell pickguard and will be perfect!
15 years ago
·
#6127
0
Votes
Undo
The GHS strings blow, IMO. I recently put D'Addario chrome flats on my SJ and haven't looked back. Mark
15 years ago
·
#6128
0
Votes
Undo
Super J's were originally strung with GHS CM5000 .045-.105. We now string them with GHS contact core M5200 .045-.105. The M5200 have a more even response and the E-string intonates better. I think Mark's referring to the CM5000's - at least I hope so;)
15 years ago
·
#6129
0
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":296ixp4c]I think Mark's referring to the CM5000's - at least I hope so;)[/quote:296ixp4c] Right, Sheldon- the 5000's. They died nearly the minute you touched them, and the E (and A, to some degree) had a bunch of wierd overtones and chorusing going on. I thought it was the bass at first, but I switched to Smiths and it went away. I'm really sold on the Chrome flats, though. Mark
15 years ago
·
#6138
0
Votes
Undo
I like the baltic amber pg, I have no desire to change it for a tort as I had considered. Today I swapped the stock strings for nickle GHS boomers. I much prefer these strings. I can't wait to play this bass in a band context. To remove relief from the neck (straighten), do I adjust the trussrod nut clockwise or counterclockwise (from the perspective of standing behind the neck)?
15 years ago
·
#6139
0
Votes
Undo
Righty-tighety (straight), lefty-loosey (less straight). Dingwalls are very reactive and I only turn mine about 1/8 of a turn at a time, then re-check the action. Sheldon tells us that the first 90% of adjustment comes immediately, then the other 10% in 24 hrs. You should check out the set up thread http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=530 before you start adjusting. Mark
  • Page :
  • 1
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!