1. Sheldon Dingwall
  2. Basses
  3. Friday, 11 January 2008
  4.  Subscribe via email
This is the last project we've been working on for NAMM. It's a little brother to the Afterburner. There are a few details to be worked out and financing to be sourced but the goal is to put this into production at a really attractive street price.
Attachments (2)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
[quote="Joe Smithebrger":ka3mb4dm]Any updates? New pics? Heck...anything?[/quote:ka3mb4dm]

Hi Joe,

We're waiting on a sample (hopefully the final one) to arrive the first week of November.

At this end we've finalized the pickups and are about to re-tool the production process with help from Fury Guitar.

It's been pretty challenging trying to come up with a design that's cost effective and sounds good. We recently had a break-though that's taken us in a total new direction with regard to pickup design. Along with that an exiting new direction in tone.

So, for the pickup tweakers, there will be new pickups on the horizon after we get the Combustion out and running.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 201
Dingbat Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Interesting...
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 202
BurningSkies Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":1uv04ff5][quote="Joe Smithebrger":1uv04ff5]Any updates? New pics? Heck...anything?[/quote:1uv04ff5]

Hi Joe,

We're waiting on a sample (hopefully the final one) to arrive the first week of November.

At this end we've finalized the pickups and are about to re-tool the production process with help from Fury Guitar.

It's been pretty challenging trying to come up with a design that's cost effective and sounds good. We recently had a break-though that's taken us in a total new direction with regard to pickup design. Along with that an exiting new direction in tone.

So, for the pickup tweakers, there will be new pickups on the horizon after we get the Combustion out and running.[/quote:1uv04ff5]

Cool! Looking forward to finding out about the new design...and also a "New Dingwall Sound" (tm).
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 203
FrankM Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Yeah-- That New Dingwall sound (tm)....
I'm all about this, anything that Glenn from Fury guitar can help you w/ pickup -wise I'm all about.
IMHO the FD1 fury inspired are the best sounding Dingwall Pickup available.
So let hope you guys move forward on another collaboration
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 204
nastyn8c Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="FrankM":3kwg3np4]Yeah-- That New Dingwall sound (tm)....
I'm all about this, anything that Glenn from Fury guitar can help you w/ pickup -wise I'm all about.
So let hope you guys move forward on another collaboration[/quote:3kwg3np4]

+1. Love them FD-1 pups.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 205
Nic DB Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="FrankM":hj1mh6lj]Yeah-- That New Dingwall sound (tm)....
So let hope you guys move forward on another collaboration[/quote:hj1mh6lj]

+2 I love em as well,
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 206
CanadaMan Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Will the new Combustion be available in a 6 string? Also, what options, if any, are there for tops/natural finishes? I'm in love with a flamed maple AB1 6 that I saw on TB but I kinda want to get in one the first batch of Combustions too, so why not combine my loves?

Anyway, thanks for any and all info, I'll be looking forward to the new model :D
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 207
nastyn8c Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="CanadaMan":3hpjslnz]Will the new Combustion be available in a 6 string?[/quote:3hpjslnz]

Nope, maybe eventually though, depending on demand
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 208
Bocete Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":3brz1e6b]Hi Joe,

So, for the pickup tweakers, there will be new pickups on the horizon after we get the Combustion out and running.[/quote:3brz1e6b]
Any news? I'm anxious, and I'm sure so are many :D
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 209
Admin
Votes
Undo
We received our pre-production sample this week. I'll get some photos up as soon as I can.

First impressions: They did a really good job. The critical points like fretwork, wood selection, fit and finish are all very good. Most importantly to me, the tone is KILLER!

We will be doing flame tops, but not a 6-string version - at least not for a while.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 210
Uncle Balsamic Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I'm sorry if I've missed it, but what sort of price are we looking at for one of these?

I haven't even got my first Dingwall yet, but I sorely tempted to get one of these!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 211
Funkshwey Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I would definitely have them fix the chunky feeling neck now and that would actually help solve the neck heaviness too. :wink:

Way easier to do on the front end. Fixing one problem cures both. You've come too far to settle.

Picture you're 1st review of the Combustion... those 2 issues will be in the cons column.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 212
Registered
Votes
Undo
I also agree; I know Christmas is coming, but those that starve for dingwalls would probably be willing to wait a while longer. I would, at least.

Also, better bass balance and feel makes more DW addicted bassists, and I see the sole purpose of the Combustion as a gateway drug :)

Of course, that is if you think better balance and/or feel are possible without affecting the price.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 213
TheGrandEnigma Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I've been waiting for the Combustion for a couple months now, calling my local dealer almost every week. I too am planning for the Combustion to be my first Dingwall, and I am very anxious, but I'd rather have it given the full seal of aproval by you than to get it sooner (again price considering. . .). Whatever you do Sheldon - please hurry!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 214
Smallmouth_Bass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Interesting you should mention neck heavy and balance...
A couple of weeks ago I pulled out a few different basses at a jam (I usually use just one). I'm fortunate enough to own several nice basses and they all sounded good, however it's the little differences that set the Dingwalls apart. Balance and neck weight are one of those details. Whereas, one bass was pulling on my shirt of my left shoulder a little while strapped and standing, the Dingwalls were perfect. This is one of the details that I love about my Dingwall basses. It's one of those things that you don't know what you've got until you lose it. Most players probably wouldn't know the difference if they haven't experienced a perfectly balanced instrument, however I have already been spoiled!

I think it would be worth it to make sure the Combustion is well balanced. Would it be a deal breaker for me? Probably not in that general price range.

A chunky neck doesn't bother me as long as it's comfortable and plays well.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 215
fullrangebass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the update Sheldon.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 216
Registered
Votes
Undo
Sheldon you could also leave the tummy cut out. IMHO it makes the bass kind of pivot awkwardly when your forearm is NOT putting pressure on the edge of the body.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 217
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":1rwufmfk]We received our pre-production sample this week. I'll get some photos up as soon as I can.

First impressions: They did a really good job. The critical points like fretwork, wood selection, fit and finish are all very good. Most importantly to me, the tone is KILLER!

We will be doing flame tops, but not a 6-string version - at least not for a while.[/quote:1rwufmfk]

Can we see a picture please?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 218
Registered
Votes
Undo
Any approximations on the release date? Will it be available before Christmas?

Thanks!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 219
Admin
Votes
Undo
[quote="Bocete":10y9ap50]Any approximations on the release date? Will it be available before Christmas?

Thanks![/quote:10y9ap50]

No, we need to get NAMM out of the way first, then we should have some available in early '09.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 220

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.