1. Sheldon Dingwall
  2. Basses
  3. Friday, 11 January 2008
  4.  Subscribe via email
This is the last project we've been working on for NAMM. It's a little brother to the Afterburner. There are a few details to be worked out and financing to be sourced but the goal is to put this into production at a really attractive street price.
Attachments (2)
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Dragonlord Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Seriously, it's looking GORGEOUS - well done. I'd still get rid of chrome hardware though.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 141
Mark L Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Outstanding! Builld it already!

Mark
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 142
bassplayinbill Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I would like to see this color and texture concept in a medium or bright blue. If you build it, I will buy it!! :shock: :lol:
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 143
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
[quote="bassplayinbill":34stjdhs]I would like to see this color and texture concept in a medium or bright blue. If you build it, I will buy it!! :shock: :lol:[/quote:34stjdhs]

I need to point out that matching headstocks will not likely be available, but is this what you were thinking of?
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 144
Joe Smithebrger Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Wow...both of the last ones... and I'm lovin the Tort guards.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 145
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Sheldon Dingwall":1vagjc3q]I need to point out that matching headstocks will not likely be available, but is this what you were thinking of?[/quote:1vagjc3q]

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

A more closely matching pick guard would seal the deal! And a matching headstock would be sweet if possible. Thanks for the vision of my next axe, Sheldon.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 146
Smallmouth_Bass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I think the chrome hardware looks nice myself, especially the tuners. The knobs could be an easy change after the fact.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 147
Registered
Votes
Undo
Well, as has already been said, I like them too - but many players (including myself) have connected chrome hardware with their first $200 bass. It's something you'd usually see on a cheap bass, and if I were Sheldon I wouldn't want even my budget line to be seen as cheap - especially when it isn't, because we all know that even $1200 is too much for most players. So, if they are buying a boutique, high end bass according to their budget, I'd want them to see the bass like that and not have them remind them of their squier and leave them drooling over the $4000 dingwalls they can't afford. Which will happen, but I'd prefer to have it happen for things that actually do cost more to produce like fancy tops than for tuners. Still, no big deal if it has chrome tuners, I'll probably buy one anyway for the fun of it (and maybe to put some villex pickups in it, as I was debating between villex and fd-3s for a long time and recently decided on fd-3s, or even defret it), I'm just sharing thoughts.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 148
Joe Smithebrger Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
FWIW I think the chrome is fine. I associate the chrome with my old Fender, Stingray 5, and my Rob Allen Mouse. I'm OK with that

Besides, doesn't Sheldon have the first batch of bridges done? If that's the case, we need to get off the Chrome subject.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 149
Registered
Votes
Undo
Missed that, if that's the case then I'm letting it rest.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 150
vikunja Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Nice combinations! Any chance of Olympic White/red tortoise pickguard or Natural with either black or red tortoise pickguard? Would be great to see a picture! :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 151
Jjango Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="vikunja":2zjum1b2]Nice combinations! Any chance of Olympic White/red tortoise pickguard or Natural with either black or red tortoise pickguard? Would be great to see a picture! :)[/quote:2zjum1b2]
Hi Vikunja!

I've done versions in practically every shade and combination imaginable, but I'm going to let Sheldon release them as he sees fit.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 152
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Jjango":q1qm8km5][quote="vikunja":q1qm8km5]Nice combinations! Any chance of Olympic White/red tortoise pickguard or Natural with either black or red tortoise pickguard? Would be great to see a picture! :)[/quote:q1qm8km5]
Hi Vikunja!

I've done versions in practically every shade and combination imaginable, but I'm going to let Sheldon release them as he sees fit.[/quote:q1qm8km5]

Hi Jjango!

Just seen through your excellent ideas on the budget models. Loved the Artic White example! :)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 153
Jjango Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
Thanks, vikunja
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 154
FrankM Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
can you say Flea Bass.....

They look great, excellent job on the photoshop
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 155
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Jjango"]Thanks, vikunja
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 156
fullrangebass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I prefer the unpainted headstock as well
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 157
Registered
Votes
Undo
[quote="Smallmouth_Bass":2ft54hu9]I think the chrome hardware looks nice myself, especially the tuners. The knobs could be an easy change after the fact.[/quote:2ft54hu9]

From the photo's, I thought the hardware was a brushed finish. Maybe brushed would be a step up from chrome plate without busting the budget?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 158
Mark L Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Registered
Votes
Undo
I've been thinking about the production colors for this bass, and I think candy lime green would be killer. It's [i:2j96fi0f]the[/i:2j96fi0f] color I associate with Dingwalls, that and WPB. Sheldon said it's a bitch to paint CLG, but it's the color I would choose for my budget AB. I'd love to see a rendition of that, Jjango.

Mark
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 159
Sheldon Dingwall Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Admin
Votes
Undo
We've got the prototype assembled. We spent a lot of time dialing in the pickups and they sound really good. We've narrowed the name down to Combustion.
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Basses
  3. # 160

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.