Sunday, 13 November 2005
  0 Replies
  6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Afterburner II 5 [url:3c5m25gk]http://cgi.ebay.com/Dingwall-Afterburner-II-5-string-electric-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ7365955422QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/url:3c5m25gk]
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
White Super J... So nice... :P
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="groovaholic":2091j0y9]And really, I'm not sure I'd have the balls to cut loose and really play on that bass. I'd be worried about it all the time. Kind-of like when someone parks their Rolls-Royce WAAAAY out in the corner of the parking lot. John[/quote:2091j0y9] Right. That's what ABs and SuperJs are for - to play out. I never take my Voodoo Zebra to a gig any longer, at least I haven't since I got my AB, and that's exactly why I got it - to save the Z, but that may change some when I get my new FD3s installed. :D Still, I doubt I'll use the Z very much because things tend to get dented and scratched on stage, and it's just too special to expose it to the dangers of singers that flail their tambourines around and guitarists that get way too close while [i:2091j0y9]getting down[/i:2091j0y9]. When you consider that, we're all probably crazy for even taking our "budget" Dingwalls to anything but the most sedate of gigs. The only time I never worry about my Z is at church gigs. There's a good reason to have an under-$1000 fanned fret bass. Mark
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote:21h0zl93]There's a good reason to have an under-$1000 fanned fret bass. [/quote:21h0zl93] Could you please tell me where I could find several of those? :lol:
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Forum members, please consider when commenting on pricing of Dingwall basses on eBAY, that basses like Prima Artists are never available without a substantial wait (read 2 years). These basses are made in very limited quantities by one of the most talented luthiers in the business. As I try to help customers with the purchase of new instruments, I also try to help them sell their current instruments. I hate to see forum members assist in devaluing these amazing works of art with their opinons. Note that the bass did sell for the asking price which I believe should be of value to all Dingwall owners. Dingwall Sales Lamb Int'l Sales Director Dingwall Designer Guitars
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I agree with barry. (and I'm not just saying that because if I ever sold my prima I'd want a lot of dough for it... it's NEVER for sale!) As someone who has worked in the shop and knows the whole process intimately, I honestly do not think that the price is outrageous... I kind of compare working at Dingwall Guitars to the show American chopper... except that Sheldon doesn't yell and throw chairs through windows... (although there was this time with a certain peanut box... ah... that was traumatizing!!!) :) the comparison is more along the lines of insane deadlines, inventory excitements, and ohh and ahhing over the latest crazy wood choice to come in. the comparison is also in the pricing. The Orange County custom choppers are probably ridiculously expensive, and I bet that they keep their value well. I wouldn't be surprized if some lawyer buys a County Chopper for $100,000 and drives it for 500 to 1000 miles, and gets 95% of what she paid for it when she decides to sell it two months later... these basses are kind of the same... I never saw the actual starting bid on this prima artist, but I noticed the buy it now function had been used... which seems to me to indicate that the price could have concievably gone higher if one or two other people saw it and had a hankering... the main reason why I think off loading a prima artist bass is that at this level of price and quality, so many of the options are customizeable. I keep thinking that If I were to drop that kind of dough on an instrument (again) I'd want to have EVERY single feature exactly the way I wanted it... I wouldn't want just ANY piece of nice buckeye burl... I'd want "the right one". which means if you are that picky that high up on the quality scale, you'd have to find an ebay buyer with exactly YOUR tastes... (I suppose with 4 billion people in this world and 5 hundred million of them on the internet, it's POSSIBLE!!!) :roll: take care everybody! Jeff Martens-Koop
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="groovaholic":1vq6pbe0]I was actually thinking that the Buy It Now seemed reasonable, considering what the bass would cost new. And really, I'm not sure I'd have the balls to cut loose and really play on that bass. I'd be worried about it all the time. Kind-of like when someone parks their Rolls-Royce WAAAAY out in the corner of the parking lot. But it's still tempting. John[/quote:1vq6pbe0] You get used to it. There comes a point when you look at it and you say to yourself: it's still an instrument. I'm going to play it. since mine is the only instrument I have, it's all I play... that being said, I would never take a gig in a venue where I might lose track of it... If I had another instrument, the temptation would be to only play it at church and in my music room... that being said here's the ultimate in bass blasphemey: When I went into the shop to pick it up, JR and Jeff2 had a running bet as to what the first thing was I was going to play... I fooled them though... Number of the Beast by Maiden was song #2!!! the first tune I played was a 1-5 polka!!! it was awesome!!! thats the other fun thing I like to do... when someone asks me to play it, I play a polka tune, and say "I don't really know how to play..." <==which, honestly is not all that far from the truth!!!
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Dingwall Sales Lamb":2ujyjh6c] I hate to see forum members assist in devaluing these amazing works of art with their opinons. Note that the bass did sell for the asking price which I believe should be of value to all Dingwall owners. Dingwall Sales Lamb Int'l Sales Director Dingwall Designer Guitars[/quote:2ujyjh6c] I'll bet the guy that bought that PA could give a hoot about what a bunch of jaded, loudmouthed Dingwall addicts think about what he paid for a one-of-a-kind piece of playable art. Buyers drive the market, not blowhards on a forum. He wants that Dingwall, and he's going to get it. He knows it's badass, and he knows what it's worth to him. I've been dealing in vintage guitars for many years. I have a [i:2ujyjh6c]low opinion[/i:2ujyjh6c] of Nationals/Supros, for example. They are still hot sellers, better every year, despite what I think of them. I think devotion to DDG product among forum members is very evident and very strong- [i:2ujyjh6c]rabid[/i:2ujyjh6c] comes to mind. I'm planning a fourth. How about a Z with the old-style cello-hip [i:2ujyjh6c]and [/i:2ujyjh6c] the new cutaway? How's that for devotion? :D Long live DDG! Mark
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Another Happy Texas Dingwall! :D
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We're seeing Dingwalls reach the point that the Chapman Stick has been at for a while. Demand is up, supply is down and the prices on used instruments approach the price on new. I can recall a couple of cases where used Sticks sold above the new price. Not surprising given the wait. People who want it now, want it now. As far as taking an expensive instrument out for a gig, come on... It's just an instrument. I have a friend who plays in cello in a major orchestra. Her bow is worth as much as a new PA. Forget the cello itself, which is off the charts. Of course, I'd rather have the PA. jw
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="strangeglow":5oc31j87]As far as taking an expensive instrument out for a gig, come on... It's just an instrument. I have a friend who plays in cello in a major orchestra. Her bow is worth as much as a new PA. Forget the cello itself, which is off the charts. jw[/quote:5oc31j87] A Voodoo is just an instrument? Well, I've worked on both, and the orchestral stage and the club stage are two entirely different worlds. The orchestral stage is well-lit and less cramped, nearly everybody is sitting down, and they are all fairly calm and still, and [i:5oc31j87]maybe[/i:5oc31j87] sober. The club stage is the exact opposite, and this is where bad things can happen to nice instruments. Unfortunately, nobody else on stage cares as much for my Voodoo as I. In fact, you guys on the forum, along with other high-end owners, are the only ones who really understand the specialness of a handbuilt guitar. The standup singer flailing and tossing his percussion stuff around and the guy playing the Epiphone and getting dangerously close to my bass with his headstock just don't understand. Until they do, my Voodoo is, unfortunately, reserved for sedate gigs, like the one I have at the country club tonight. Mark
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
While I like to look at basses, my main deal is to play them. One of my guitarists has a 72 strat that he's afraid to bring out to shows, heck, won't even take it to practice! Instead, he's got a few nice modern strats that he uses. I don't have a 5K bass yet, but I have no hesitation to take my 73 Precision out to play at a club or a bar. I also have brought my Afterburner 1 to every show I've played since I got it. They've been everything from chaotic clubs, theater stages to even one over-crowded basement fraternity party (don't ask how much they had to pay us to do THAT show!). I have it to play it, I've come to depend on how it plays, sounds and feels. I expect to feel the same about my Z1 eventually. While I certainly don't throw my AB around, and I do take precautions not to put it in harmful situations, I don't seen not playing it for these reasons.
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I bought my AB1 specifically to be my main gigging bass, and it already has some small battle scars as a result :( . It's a lot easier to overlook those scars on a $2000 bass vs a $5000 one. Mark
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Obviously, there's no correct answer to this-that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavours (and why I still prefer Ben and Jerry's). Keep 'em in the vault or flog 'em in public, enshrine 'em or bathe 'em in beer and sweat, just enjoy your Dingwall(s) however you see fit!
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I've been contemplating the same question, since I am expecting my Z1 sometime in early 2007. My ABII is my main fretted axe, so I take it to every gig (at least the gigs of my regular band). When I get the Z, I plan on taking it to some gigs, but the gigs that that bass will see will be the "better" ones, where there is more space between band and crowd, if not a real stage. The guys in the band aren't the problem, it is the rowdy, drunk audience members falling all over the place.
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="amodeo@mitre.org":29p4fpav] The guys in the band aren't the problem, it is the rowdy, drunk audience members falling all over the place.[/quote:29p4fpav] There must be a lot of politicians partying out there :wink: . I wouldn't take my Voodoo near a gig like that. Mark
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Black burst AB1-4 in the UK: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1 Mark
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="guitarded":143gjyqd]Black burst AB1-4 in the UK: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1 Mark[/quote:143gjyqd] Yep. The description leaves a bit to be desired though. Says the board is rosewood, not Wenge. Seems to be confused about the selector switch, calling it a blend/coil knob...neither of which is correct. The description of the BluEQube is odd too...it's a mid-cut, so the mids shouldn't 'jump out at you' when you use it. Otherwise it's a fairly hard to find AB-1 four string in a place that doesn't have many Dingwalls...(this ain't Texas!).
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Bass Central is now selling on eBay? ABI 5 [url:37uvwhj2]http://cgi.ebay.com/Dingwall-Afterburner-I-5-Honey-Amberburst_W0QQitemZ180048117113QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem[/url:37uvwhj2] SuperJ [url:37uvwhj2]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180046487295&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180048117113&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget[/url:37uvwhj2]
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
And another SuperJ [url:1vq2fqs6]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180048117130&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=180046487295&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=UpSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget[/url:1vq2fqs6]
15 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Those SJs are the old ones without the magnetic battery cover.
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!