Sunday, 09 October 2011
  0 Replies
  1.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi Sheldon and the Forum, Its been a while since i was last on here, you'll be please to know i'm still loving my Dingwalls. I have recently picked up a used Combustion number 00052, natural, i am going to be giving this bass body to my spray team at work *We're industrial designers and manufacturers* were we will be giving this bass either a 3/2 colour burst or a glitter sparkle finish *depending on which sample i like the most* as well as a new colour I will be changing all the hardware to black and there is a possibility at upgrading the pickups, now i'm not overly keen on changing these pickups but i have noticed as have the previous owners of this bass that the B string on this particular bass is distinctly quieter than the G-D-A-E strings now the previous owners have moved this bass on *i think i'm the fifth owner* because of this issue but i'd prefer to nip it in the bud, are there upgrades for the pickups available? a booster? what pickups from other companies can be retro fitted in to this bass? I love the tone i get from the FDA-3's so i'm not looking to swap them out, i just want the B to be as loud and responsive as the other strings *new strings are on the bass so its not a dead string its a well documentated problem with the previous owners too* in quick summation, - Can the low b pickup problem be resolved without having to remove the pickups? - If not what products are available to me that will retro fit in to the bass or can the problem be fixed? - Am i correct in thinking that i can buy Black Hipshot Ultra Lites and retro fit them to this bass? - What brand of Mono Rail bridge can i purchase to replace the Combustion stock bridges? Do any manufactures products retro fit? or can i order black ones from Dingwall? My apologies if these questions above have been answered already. Of course it goes without saying i will post pictures of the finished product on here the second it comes out the spray shop. Thanks, Ben
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Ben, good to have you back. Head over to the "Basses" part of the forum and you'll find the answer faster than I can copy/paste a link.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Except from the bridge, everything should be easily replaceable. You can also get a B-string booster kit for your FD3a pickups from Sheldon, just drop him an email. They are standard now btw.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for chiming in guys. Couldn't have said it better myself. Another upgrade that is now standard are 1 meg volume pots. They bring out the top end nicely with the FD3a pickups. PS: the B-booster kit is on the way. The pickups will have to be lifted out of their pockets to do the install but not desoldered.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
To the OP: All the hardware you need is available on ebay. Here's the bridges you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-Individua ... 2eb870ea4a
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Sheldon you mention 1 meg volume pots so i checked out some and found 2, one is CTS 1 Meg Audio Taper , and the other is, CTS 1 Meg Linear , which would you recommend (if any) and whats the difference between audio taper and linear, or do you sell volume pots, i checked the online store and don't see any listed, thanks.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
As far as I know - the difference is in the dropoff rate that you get by turning the knob. On audio, the knob on ~50% will give you about %50 volume; with linear, the volume drops rapidly at start and more slowly near the end, so you get to 50% volume by turning the knob down only slightly. For a volume pot you want audio. For tone people usually go for linear; but Sheldon would have to specify, I really don't know. But for volume, audio is the way to go, and both my Combustion and AB-II have audio taper for volume. Before doing anything let someone else confirm what I'm talking about here; I'm not an electrical engineer and I've seen people confusing linear and audio (because audio gives you a linear dependency between knob position and volume).
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks bocete for taking the time, i am in no rush, and like you i also have a combustion & ABII, but since i put the B string booster in the combustion i am using it more for gigs so i thought next step mod it up to the same specs as the V2, so thanks again, enjoy the USA, and sorry to spacecowboy for hogging your thread, (ps mines 00024).
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi John, They're CTS audio taper. They add a nice crispness to the highs. We don't have them on the we store yet but I'll make a note to add them when I get back from NAMM.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Sheldon I can get them here locally, best of luck at NAMM
8 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Sheldon, I thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. I recently acquired Combustion # 00382, can you tell me the DOB and generation of this serial number? I'm assuming this is a newer generation and doesn't need the B booster kit, but the B string doesn't speak with the same authority as the other strings (I just put brand new Voodoo's on, so it's not a string issue). It isn't a huge difference, but noticeable when compared to my Z2, and other AB series and up models. So far, I make up the difference with a little more aggressive attack on the B, which is almost the opposite of what's needed on my other Dingwalls! Overall I am extremely pleased with the "entry level" Dingwall, it's far superior to many other bass manufacturer's top of the line offerings! Thanks, Jeff
8 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sorry to be late to the game here Jeff. Did our tech Jeff get you everything you needed?
8 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Sheldon, Jeff was an immense help and a great asset to your team there as I'm sure you are well aware! Thanks for building the worlds greatest basses! I showed the Combustion to a friend who remarked that's way nicer in fit finish and construction than a famous maker's American built custom shop offering!
8 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Jeff.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!