Sunday, 09 October 2011
  0 Replies
  1.3K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi Sheldon and the Forum, Its been a while since i was last on here, you'll be please to know i'm still loving my Dingwalls. I have recently picked up a used Combustion number 00052, natural, i am going to be giving this bass body to my spray team at work *We're industrial designers and manufacturers* were we will be giving this bass either a 3/2 colour burst or a glitter sparkle finish *depending on which sample i like the most* as well as a new colour I will be changing all the hardware to black and there is a possibility at upgrading the pickups, now i'm not overly keen on changing these pickups but i have noticed as have the previous owners of this bass that the B string on this particular bass is distinctly quieter than the G-D-A-E strings now the previous owners have moved this bass on *i think i'm the fifth owner* because of this issue but i'd prefer to nip it in the bud, are there upgrades for the pickups available? a booster? what pickups from other companies can be retro fitted in to this bass? I love the tone i get from the FDA-3's so i'm not looking to swap them out, i just want the B to be as loud and responsive as the other strings *new strings are on the bass so its not a dead string its a well documentated problem with the previous owners too* in quick summation, - Can the low b pickup problem be resolved without having to remove the pickups? - If not what products are available to me that will retro fit in to the bass or can the problem be fixed? - Am i correct in thinking that i can buy Black Hipshot Ultra Lites and retro fit them to this bass? - What brand of Mono Rail bridge can i purchase to replace the Combustion stock bridges? Do any manufactures products retro fit? or can i order black ones from Dingwall? My apologies if these questions above have been answered already. Of course it goes without saying i will post pictures of the finished product on here the second it comes out the spray shop. Thanks, Ben
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Ben, good to have you back. Head over to the "Basses" part of the forum and you'll find the answer faster than I can copy/paste a link.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Except from the bridge, everything should be easily replaceable. You can also get a B-string booster kit for your FD3a pickups from Sheldon, just drop him an email. They are standard now btw.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for chiming in guys. Couldn't have said it better myself. Another upgrade that is now standard are 1 meg volume pots. They bring out the top end nicely with the FD3a pickups. PS: the B-booster kit is on the way. The pickups will have to be lifted out of their pockets to do the install but not desoldered.
10 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
To the OP: All the hardware you need is available on ebay. Here's the bridges you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-Individua ... 2eb870ea4a
9 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Sheldon you mention 1 meg volume pots so i checked out some and found 2, one is CTS 1 Meg Audio Taper , and the other is, CTS 1 Meg Linear , which would you recommend (if any) and whats the difference between audio taper and linear, or do you sell volume pots, i checked the online store and don't see any listed, thanks.
9 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
As far as I know - the difference is in the dropoff rate that you get by turning the knob. On audio, the knob on ~50% will give you about %50 volume; with linear, the volume drops rapidly at start and more slowly near the end, so you get to 50% volume by turning the knob down only slightly. For a volume pot you want audio. For tone people usually go for linear; but Sheldon would have to specify, I really don't know. But for volume, audio is the way to go, and both my Combustion and AB-II have audio taper for volume. Before doing anything let someone else confirm what I'm talking about here; I'm not an electrical engineer and I've seen people confusing linear and audio (because audio gives you a linear dependency between knob position and volume).
9 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks bocete for taking the time, i am in no rush, and like you i also have a combustion & ABII, but since i put the B string booster in the combustion i am using it more for gigs so i thought next step mod it up to the same specs as the V2, so thanks again, enjoy the USA, and sorry to spacecowboy for hogging your thread, (ps mines 00024).
9 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi John, They're CTS audio taper. They add a nice crispness to the highs. We don't have them on the we store yet but I'll make a note to add them when I get back from NAMM.
9 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Sheldon I can get them here locally, best of luck at NAMM
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Sheldon, I thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. I recently acquired Combustion # 00382, can you tell me the DOB and generation of this serial number? I'm assuming this is a newer generation and doesn't need the B booster kit, but the B string doesn't speak with the same authority as the other strings (I just put brand new Voodoo's on, so it's not a string issue). It isn't a huge difference, but noticeable when compared to my Z2, and other AB series and up models. So far, I make up the difference with a little more aggressive attack on the B, which is almost the opposite of what's needed on my other Dingwalls! Overall I am extremely pleased with the "entry level" Dingwall, it's far superior to many other bass manufacturer's top of the line offerings! Thanks, Jeff
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sorry to be late to the game here Jeff. Did our tech Jeff get you everything you needed?
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Sheldon, Jeff was an immense help and a great asset to your team there as I'm sure you are well aware! Thanks for building the worlds greatest basses! I showed the Combustion to a friend who remarked that's way nicer in fit finish and construction than a famous maker's American built custom shop offering!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Jeff.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!