New

ABZ

Saturday, 08 August 2009
  0 Replies
  2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
I figure this new model deserves it's own thread. Here is the final version of the ABZ. We are using the new Combustion shells, however the pickups are FD-3's. Combustion pickups might be an option for aftermarket mods. This one weighs 8lbs 3oz and is off to Bass Northwest today.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote:2ekfuqox]We have cases I can trade you for the gigbag. [/quote:2ekfuqox] That would be great Sheldon, when can we meet? I work on 47th, so I can bring it to work and come by anytime, let me know what works best for you. Before Thursday night if thats cool, we're playing that night and I'd much rather have a hard case by then.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="Tyler":3vyhl9k3][quote:3vyhl9k3]We have cases I can trade you for the gigbag. [/quote:3vyhl9k3] That would be great Sheldon, when can we meet? I work on 47th, so I can bring it to work and come by anytime, let me know what works best for you. Before Thursday night if thats cool, we're playing that night and I'd much rather have a hard case by then.[/quote:3vyhl9k3] Drop by after 4:00 PM.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sheldon, I'm going to stop by Wednesday shortly after 4 if thats ok with you. I'm jamming in the evening and I have to haul a bunch of stuff and would feel better if the ABZ is in a case. If thats a problem please email me at work: excaliburto@sasktel.net Thanks Tyler
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I've been think about getting a Dingwall bass for awhile. (I just have to talk the wife in to it...) I'm after a classic P / J sound, strong on the P side. It sounds like the ABZ (or AB I) might fit the bill. Would you guys agree?
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
They cost more, but you may want to consider the Super J. I believe you can get P/J style pickups as an option.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Would a Super J or Super P/J not fit the bill better? It'll cost double what a ABZ would, but there's a reason for that I imagine. Welcome to the forum.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies! I think the Super J would be great, but cost is definately a factor... Even if I could find a used one, I think that it would more than a new ABZ.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The Super J(or P/J)having a shorter scale has a little more or a "classic attack/decay", I don't know if punchy is the right word or not, probably more prominant on the D and G strings. That being said the AB's also are built around that really solid bolt-on flavor. You shouldn't have much trouble dialing-in a P tone off of the neck pup by reeling back a little treble and adjusting mids depending on your technique and string selection/condition. One nice thing about a Dingwall is you shouldn't lose much initial investment if you decide to sell it to get a more or less expensive model.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The pickups inside ABZs are actually two P pickups. The neck pickup, however, is wired in parallel which makes it much "calmer". Wiring the neck pickup in series will get you a killer P tone. If a SuperJ is outside your budget, get an ABZ and try that.
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
All Dingwall soapbars are a P shape under a soapbar shell, if I'm not mistaken. The difference here if that all currently-shipping pups from Dingwall, except for the FD-3A found in the Combustion (the ABZ uses FD-3 in FD-3A shells) have 4 leads, so this can be done without modifying the pickups internally. And, they can all have a DPDT switch added to allow it to switch back and forth :D
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[quote="nastyn8c":20s667ri]All Dingwall soapbars are a P shape under a soapbar shell, if I'm not mistaken. [/quote:20s667ri] Great info! Thanks to everyone for their help!
11 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well, I took the plunge and ordered my first Dingwall. I picked up an ABZ from Bass Central. I'll let you know how it goes after it arrives. :D
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!